Sign in to follow this  

80-100 cc trail bike ????

I need some opinions on late 90's and newer 80-100cc bikes for my daughter,mostly trail riding and play riding with a possible hare scramble once in awhile.She is 5'3"-5'4" about 100 lbs.not a great rider but not a total noob either.

I believe a KX100 or RM100 would be my first choices,a little more then I realy want to spend right now though.

I have found a few YZ80 and 85's closer to what I plan on spending, however I believe the RM's and KX's are the only ones with power valves?is that correct?

I want a fairly smooth power delivery can the YZ's and CR's be set up for a smooth power delivery without spending a lot,or am I better off keeping my search on the KX's and RM's? I have no brand preferance,I would like to know the pros and cons of each brand.

Thanks

I am 5'4" and just got a kx100 and love it! If that's what you want, keep looking and you'll find a deal or a good running cheap one. They have been made for many years. You can always tame it down at first with a FWW and/or gearing changes and put it back later if she wants to race. I see it as a very versatile bike.

My RM has power valves and I am pretty sure that only the KX and RM have them. I am 6'0" and ride an RM80 and it doesn't fit me too bad at all. I like smaller bikes better though. What has your daughter ridden before? To be honest there really isn't much of any difference between the KX and the RM. I have never ridden a 100 so I can't comment on them but the 80's are nice and zippy little bikes. I use my '94 RM80 for mostly trail riding but take it to my buddy's MX track now and then.

My daughter learned on a DS80,then we moved her to a RT100 the RT fit her well last year,the RT lost the crank last fall so not wanting to spend a lot with winter almost here I picked up a chinese 100 real cheap, for something for her to ride untill end of last season,I know it will not hold together very long and believe she is ready for a nicer bike with more power and suspension:thumbsup:

I have found some KX's and RM's at a decent price but not close enough to just go look at.

Everything I've found close has been priced high or a YZ or CR and I'm not sure about the power delivery on those,I am afraid it may be to brutal for trailriding for her..

My daughter learned on a DS80,then we moved her to a RT100 the RT fit her well last year,the RT lost the crank last fall so not wanting to spend a lot with winter almost here I picked up a chinese 100 real cheap, for something for her to ride untill end of last season,I know it will not hold together very long and believe she is ready for a nicer bike with more power and suspension:thumbsup:

I have found some KX's and RM's at a decent price but not close enough to just go look at.

Everything I've found close has been priced high or a YZ or CR and I'm not sure about the power delivery on those,I am afraid it may be to brutal for trailriding for her..

Oh, she should be able to handle an RM or KX80 then. I have never ridden a YZ or a CR80 so I can't compare my RM to them.You made a good decision on not buying a junk chinese bike though.:p