Sign in to follow this  

Bigger piston skirt for crf450?

I was just wondering if there are any pistons for a crf450 that have a bigger skirt and last longer? I heard the thumper racing big bore kits pistons have bigger skirts but how bout stock size with bigger, more stable skirts?

As in longer?

Remember pistons are a struggle between weight and strength so if the material to be added is useless then engineers don't add it

A je has a nice skirt design but while I don't have the numbers handy I do think they are heavier than own if even only slightly

If everything else remains stock, you're probably not going to have a lot of space to add skirt length before clearance at the crank becomes an issue...especially with the '09. Honda shortened the overall height of the engine by shortening the connecting rod, but they also had to design a cutaway in the crank to provide clearance with the piston skirt at BDC.

I was thinking of something with a little wider skirt just for a little more surface area. Do the JE pistons have a larger surface area skirt? I noticed the skirt on my yamaha wrf was alot wider than the crf but about the same height. it also has 2 compression rings. Im mainly wondering because i would like to put a piston in my bike that will last longer. I dont do any competition just trail and fire road riding mostly.

I they widen the skirt area they generally have to increase the clearance there so much to piston skirt desighn and a lot of testing going on rist pin offset has a lot to do with it also i do no from experience if you dont get the pin off set right on these engines they can destroy a piston in 15 miniuntes there noisy also .the best thing the oems could do is use a longer conecting rod but then there engine would be taller and they dont want that .

Hey Ron what exactly is wrist pin off set, i'm doing a 04 crf crank and piston and i've never heard ofthis?

All rist pins are not always set dead center with the piston the companys off set them to make the piston more stable in the bore i have found that on these short skirt pistons its usally best to have the pistons machined with a centered pin bore .

Ron does a person have a say in how the piston is machined when you buy it? Do you specify what you want when you buy one? Like i said i've never heard of this.