Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Couple Questions...

What is the payout to for Supercross I would imagine its a lot but I have no clue maybe someone else knows???

also when do the tickets for Daytona 2010 go on sale I want some GREAT sears for next year!

Don't know about tickets but Payout is actually surprisingly small. I don't know the exact amount.

Most of the riders get paid from bonuses and sponsors more than anything.

It used to be about $5,000 not sure about now. I've heard factory bonuses for a win could be $100,000.

there is also bonuses for getting on the podium as well

Whats the bonus when you own your own team like J-law? :p

The satisfaction of knowing there are 18 guys behind you who want your spot on the podium.

Found this :

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=1C7E3F0C636E43B896908FD96F7C3587

Dear MXA,

I know that the Europeans do not pay any kind of purse at all, but how much does a rider make to win, place or show in an AMA National? I hear that it is not worth the effort.

Wrong! Unless you feel that a privateer's ability to make as much as $53,000 a week is bad pay!

The AMA National purse is the subject of major misconceptions. Here is the answer to your question (and hopefully the last time anyone every misquotes how much the Nationals pay). You decide whether or not it is a good day's pay.

(1) On average an AMA National pays the exact same total purse as an AMA Supercross. The posted National purse is $66,140 per event. This money comes directly from the event promoter each weekend. But that purse money is also supplemented by guaranteed bonus money (money that is posted through the AMA system and paid out to the riders based on results per event).

(2) An AMA National and a Supercross pay the same basic purse ($66,140). Although there are Supercross races that pay more and stand-alone events like the U.S. Open that pay a lot more. The major difference between the pay out (per rider) at a Supercross and an AMA National is that the National purse is divided by 160 checks (every rider in every moto gets paid--even the last place guy, who went 40-40, would get $440 from the $66,000). On the good note, most people think that the money should be paid as far back as possible to help the privateers. On the bad note, the more checks you write, the smaller they have to be. The entry fee to an AMA National is $200, so even the last place rider gets double his entry fee back.

(3) What can a privateer make if he wins an AMA National? Let's use Honda CRF450 privateer Jeff Alessi as an example. If Jeff went 1-1 at an AMA National, he would receive $53,050 for his days work. That includes the promoter's purse money and his AMA-guaranteed Honda contingency money (the cotigency money is part of the AMA payout structure). No matter how you parse it, winning an AMA National does wonders for your bank account.

If Jeff won a Kawasaki KX450F, he would also get $53,050 (but he would only get $28,050 on a KX250F or CRF250). On a Yamaha or Suzuki first place would be $23,050 (because they offer a $20,000 contingency pay out compared to Honda's $50,000 bonus).

(4) Second place. If Jeff Alessi went 2-2 for second overall on his Honda CRF450 or KX450, he would take home $27,150 and a 3-3 would earn him $16,800. On a Yamaha he would get $17,150 for second. A Suzuki rider would earn $12,150 for second.

(5) Full-factory riders do not sign-up for the AMA's guaranteed contingency plan (instead they have their own private deals). If Ferry, Short, Millsaps or Villopoto go 1-1, they makes $103,050 a week (winning all 12 Nationals, like James stewart did in 2008, we put at least $1,236,600 in purse related money in the rider's pocket--plus the factory riders get $1,000,000 Championship bonus--which makes a totally successfuly National campaign worth a minimum of $2,236,600). It's amazing that James Stewart wants to race Supercross-only in 2009. He must not need the two-and-a-quarter million dollars, at least not now.

(6) How much an individual rider makes from the AMA National purse depends on how much bonus money each factory puts into the pot (and what class the rider is in--the 250 class pays less bonus money if you are on a Honda or Kawasaki). Honda pays the most for the top four spots, while Suzuki and Kawasaki pay the most places back.

Here are some examples:

Fifth place: A fifth place rider who went 5-5 would make $6290 for the day (if he rode a KX450F), $5290 if he raced a YZ-F, KX250F or RM-Z, $4290 if he raced a CRF450 and $3290 on a CRF250.

20th place: A rider who earned one point in each moto by finishing 20-20 would make $1460 on a Suzuki, $1010 on a KX-F or YZ-F and $860 on a CRF.

(7) The European GP promoters pay their riders nothing. Amazing but true. Even more outlandish is that Youthstream claims that they don't have to pay purse money because just holding the races is good enough to get the rider a factory contract and sponsors. That is stupid! American riders start with bigger factory contracts and more sponsorship money, but still get paid for their results. In MXA's opinion, the European GP riders are being taken advantage of by a sanctioning body and promoting group that are lining their own pockets, but not sharing the wealth with the actual talent. The Euro riders, their teams, team managers and agents should be ashamed of themselves for allowing the riders to be used by greedy promoters. Stand up for what is right.

Whats the bonus when you own your own team like J-law? :p

thats what I was wondering too because in an interview J Law said he was running out of money to run the team and I thought since he did so good at Daytona that he would have made at least 100 grand but I guess not...

How long do you guys think till J law gives up being an owner and goes back to riding for someone else again?

thats what I was wondering too because in an interview J Law said he was running out of money to run the team and I thought since he did so good at Daytona that he would have made at least 100 grand but I guess not...

How long do you guys think till J law gives up being an owner and goes back to riding for someone else again?

if he can manage it right never. he's the most viral rider right now attracting more attention then Stewart or Reed and he isn't even in contention.

He is also the most marketable young rider next to Pastrana and like Pastrana he doesn't even have to race. His haters watch him and pay more attention then his fans.

I expect Monster (who is about to go global) to step up their relationship with him.

He will go a route like a pro skater or snowboarder and step aside from the clean cut "American Racer" image of a sanctioned industry with rules.