Sign in to follow this  

SF Wifi or phone use?

Hey... I am going down to SF tomorrow and I am really excited.

I need to stay in contact with my family while I am gone, and I was wondering if there is any local FREE wi-fi hotspots that I can bring my laptop down for emails and webcams....

Also, I have ATT Wireless and they want 0.99 per minute to make calls. Talk about bending over and grabbing the ol' ankles....

Is there any calling cards or sim cards that I can throw in my phone for a better rate? If so, where do I buy them?

Thanks!

I'm not aware of any free wi-fi places... I would be highly surprised if there are any (maybe a hotel somewhere, but I don't know). There is a place on one of the main streets aptly named "The Net" that appears to have pay-for-use internet access.

I don't recall the street name (Ave Camino Del Sur maybe?), but as you head into town and approach the main round-a-bout in the center of town, make an immediate right and it's about 1 mile down the road on the left. Look for a blue building with "The Net" painted on the side. Believe it or not, this is where the entire "Net" is located... right there in little 'ol San Felipe.

If I remember right the 50 minute calling cards were about 50 pesos.

One of the exchange places by the corner OXXO store near the beach was $.25 a minute.

The resturant at playa de oro on the way into town has free internet access.

I believe its call jimmys.

and the palapa pool area at el dorado has internet.

Bar Miramar has wifi I think. There is wifi at the bar/restaurant at Petes Camp.. Have fun:thumbsup:

Hey... I am going down to SF tomorrow and I am really excited.

I need to stay in contact with my family while I am gone, and I was wondering if there is any local FREE wi-fi hotspots that I can bring my laptop down for emails and webcams....

Also, I have ATT Wireless and they want 0.99 per minute to make calls. Talk about bending over and grabbing the ol' ankles....

Is there any calling cards or sim cards that I can throw in my phone for a better rate? If so, where do I buy them?

Thanks!

Call AT&T and request the International Service for Mexico. I believe that you can pay an extra $5 month and the calls are then about 10 cents/min.Also, If you are going to use your AT&T cell down there, I believe that you do need to call and let them know so you can use your phone down there. I needed to do that about 6-7 years ago, so I do not know if they still have the same policy... Enjoy.

I will call them! Thanks!

On a side note...

Can i bring a knife in my first aid kit for emergency's in Mexico or is that a no no?

Internet access also available at the coffee shop across the street from the Costa Azul at the south end of the Malecon, fairly fast connection speed and cheap.

On a side note...

Can i bring a knife in my first aid kit for emergency's in Mexico or is that a no no?

I keep a multi tool in my tool bag and I've never had a problem, but no one has ever searched that compartment.

I think the rule is that the blade should be less than four inches and the intent is to keep cities safer. Why would you need a locking-blade knife in a night club?

In spite of what the rule or the intent is, it's subject to abuse by authorities. I remember a post on ADV Rider from a year or two ago where someone wanted to confiscate a multi tool at an Army Checkpoint. The poster broke off the blade, handed it to the soldier, and kept the rest of the knife.