Sign in to follow this  

XR250 Carb question (1990)

I recently purchased my first dirt bike and decided this older 1990 XR250R with a fresh top end rebuild would be the perfect starter bike.....or so I thought.

As it stands now, the bike won't run without choke. 1/2 choke is usually about perfect. If I go much less than that, it acts starved for fuel.

It also lacks top end power. Low end is fine however the engine starts to sputter as the RPM's climb.

Yesterday, I removed & cleaned the carb carefully with carb cleaner & an air compressor and reinstalled with high hopes....but the symptoms remain same. :p

Any suggestions? There is a brass screw on the bottom of the carb that I can't turn by hand & don't have a 90 degree angle screw driver. I'm guessing that is mixture however they don't make it very convenient to adjust.

I also noticed an exhaust leak up around the left header. Would that significantly effect performance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

your not making the old YSAM error are you? you know the choke is up for on? lol

your not making the old YSAM error are you? you know the choke is up for on? lol

I don't know what YSAM stands for but it describes me to the 'T'!! :p

Consider this topic closed. I'll go back in my hole now.

And in all seriousness, I really appreciate it taggkent. Your 3 second answer saved me a LOT of trouble.

:ride: no problem at all.

YSAM is another xr owner who had the same problem as you, much to everyones amusement lol.

Enjoy :p