Sign in to follow this  

06 450x one valve moved .004 of a inch?

so one intake valve has moved .004 of an inch on my 06. It is still in spec but heading to the tight end. The bike has 5700 miles on it and I keep up on maintenance but it happens eventually so sure I could shim it but as far as I have seen that's a temp fix and usually ends up in a new head.I wonder if new valves at this point would be a good idea. Any ideas??????

so one intake valve has moved .004 of an inch on my 06. It is still in spec but heading to the tight end. The bike has 5700 miles on it and I keep up on maintenance but it happens eventually so sure I could shim it but as far as I have seen that's a temp fix and usually ends up in a new head.I wonder if new valves at this point would be a good idea. Any ideas??????

Is this a new 06' you bought and have been recently riding?

If so its normal for the valves to move a bit after breaking it in. In this case shim it and it should be good.

If its a 06' with hours on it and you either dont know the history or have had it for a while leave it be and keep an eye on it. Shim it once if it zeros after that once it zeros again new valves are needed.

In addition to ndekens comments:

How is it still in spec if it moved .004" when the spec is .006" +/-.001"? Have you shimed the valves before? If so, what size shims are in the head.

No way a properly shimmed intake could move.004 and still be in spec.

Even at .007 that leaves you at .003.

Dont even bother to shim it.

Put the stainless intakes in it and forget about it.