Sign in to follow this  

Hot Rectifier/Regulator

Not getting a charge,(motor on,3000rpm, runs below 13volts)Ipretty much get no rise above what the battery is charged to. I have been following Noble's charging diagnoses, and I'm new to working with a multimeter. Just bought another one, this time it has all the functions I need. So far everything has tested good, I will be retesting tonight with the new meter. Getting to my question, is the RR normally hot. Its not burn'n hot but it seems warmer than it should be after riding(I have done the "free power mod"). Is there something I'm missing. 01'DRZ400S

Not getting a charge,(motor on,3000rpm, runs below 13volts)Ipretty much get no rise above what the battery is charged to. I have been following Noble's charging diagnoses, and I'm new to working with a multimeter. Just bought another one, this time it has all the functions I need. So far everything has tested good, I will be retesting tonight with the new meter. Getting to my question, is the RR normally hot. Its not burn'n hot but it seems warmer than it should be after riding(I have done the "free power mod"). Is there something I'm missing. 01'DRZ400S

Yeppers......Normal.... The Z`s R/R works by supply`ing the demand of the battery and electrical system. It supply`s that from the stator. Whatever excessive juice produced....it sends to ground.....dissipating it as heat.....thus the stator all ways running at 100%....and the r/r gets hot.....:p:ride:

Erling

Thanks for the info, hopefully I can find out where my juice is going!!:p

Thanks for the info, hopefully I can find out where my juice is going!!:moon:

We can be of better assist if you post the tests you performed along with the results......:p:ride:

Erling

Being your RR gets hot (as it should/does) I suspect your stator is fine. I suggest checking the connector from the RR to the harness and the connector to the fuse holder. Look for signs of corrosion and/or melting.

Being your RR gets hot (as it should/does) I suspect your stator is fine. I suggest checking the connector from the RR to the harness and the connector to the fuse holder. Look for signs of corrosion and/or melting.

Thats what I was thinking, but I just tested the three yellow wires, I checked each one to ground. When I touched each one the meter showed "Shrt" and it beeped. Then I switched the meter to show ohms, grounded it to my foot peg and it read @ about 11 ohms. Does this mean my stator is bad.

Thats what I was thinking, but I just tested the three yellow wires, I checked each one to ground. When I touched each one the meter showed "Shrt" and it beeped. Then I switched the meter to show ohms, grounded it to my foot peg and it read @ about 11 ohms. Does this mean my stator is bad.

Yes .....stator is bad.....Sorry....

Erling

Yes .....stator is bad.....Sorry....

Erling

I was looking on Ron Ayers fiche, and it shows the stator assembly, can't tell does that include the wire harness, or do I just replace the coils????

By the way pissed that its a $300 fix but glad to learn new stuff! Thanks

I was looking on Ron Ayers fiche, and it shows the stator assembly, can't tell does that include the wire harness, or do I just replace the coils????

By the way pissed that its a $300 fix but glad to learn new stuff! Thanks

I do believe they come all ready wired ready to go.....I`d put in a call to TT...see what they charge.....Just curious...did you run any high draw items...prior to the failure????

Erling

There are less expensive aftermarket stators as an alternative. Some have the wires incorrect at the plug and will have to be swapped at the connector, no biggie, just a pain.

I do believe they come all ready wired ready to go.....I`d put in a call to TT...see what they charge.....Just curious...did you run any high draw items...prior to the failure????

Erling

I ran nothing extra, left my key on once and ran down the battery. Replaced the battery soon after, thought maybe that ruined it. Then around the same time I had to keep charging more often, new battery so I new I had a problem. I would like to run a GPS on it one day.

Well I hope the stator is the problem, just picked one up @ TT store for $283.38, thats if it qualifies for the free ground shipping.

Like William mentioned look for coroded contact`s...plugs....look at the plug from the r/r to the battery......:p:ride:

Erling

Peete38 has already done "Free Power" so that connector would not be an issue. But it is certainly worth while to check all connections including the "free Power" connections that replaced the RR connector.

I found no signs of melting, and lack of juice is why I did "Free Power". Wasn't until I got a multimeter and started on Noble's diag that I realized that I was not getting any charge. But if what I discibed to you with the yellow to ground test and the readings on the meter were done correct, I feel better about getting the stator ordered. When I checked it, I grounded it to the neg. battery cable, then double checked it by using the foot peg. Now Im trying to find theads on the stator so I can do it right the first time, I know theres talk about using loctight for certian bolts.

The stator is mounted in the outer cover with 3, 5mm Allen head screws. That is where you use Loctite (Loctite is a trade name and spelled like this) The other thing to pay attention to is how the pick-up coil is mounted and mount the new one in the same orientation. You can use some Loctite on all the internal screws. Pay attention to where the thrust washers go when you take the case cover off. There is 1 case screw hiding behind the reduction gear (torque limiter clutch) under the round cover.

I found no signs of melting, and lack of juice is why I did "Free Power". Wasn't until I got a multimeter and started on Noble's diag that I realized that I was not getting any charge. But if what I discibed to you with the yellow to ground test and the readings on the meter were done correct, I feel better about getting the stator ordered. When I checked it, I grounded it to the neg. battery cable, then double checked it by using the foot peg. Now Im trying to find theads on the stator so I can do it right the first time, I know theres talk about using loctight for certian bolts.

Yeppers.....

The three yellow wires each represent a coil with one end of the coil attached to common....and the other to the yellow wire. The wire in the coil is copper, and is dipped in a laquer as a insulator. When the laquer is intact there is a high resistance in the coil.....When the laquer (insulator) melts....it create one or multiple shorts in the coil....thus showing a short to ground......So that`s why...if you measure a short.....it`s toast......

Yep.....loctite the bolts fastening the stator in place.....so they don`t work them self out....... :p:ride:

Erling

I'm looking for a post I read a few days ago by digitaldan, posted in 07 I think(how to remove the stator/ignition cover) it had good pics and well detailed. Now I can't find it, does anyone know what the link is!!! I have seached by name, article, date....pull'N my hair out!

I'm looking for a post I read a few days ago by digitaldan, posted in 07 I think(how to remove the stator/ignition cover) it had good pics and well detailed. Now I can't find it, does anyone know what the link is!!! I have seached by name, article, date....pull'N my hair out!

Is this the one you're looking for?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471360&highlight=

Dadahhhhhhh......

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471360&highlight=

Erling