2001 YZ250 makeover

So I am helping a buddy redo his 01 YZ250 for his High school senior project. He is installing a hurricane kit, but is doing his project on powder coating so we are tearing it all down to get it coated. Here is the kicker, we are installing 02 to current plastic all the way around. Got an 02 tank and made the new brackets to mount it up. Got an 02 sub frame to mount the 02 airbox, seat, and number plates to. Obviously there was some work needed to be dont to make the sub frame fit, but it was nothing at all to make it fit. Cut, grind and reweld and it was on there. We are also doing something trick which you will see in the pictures.

Before pics:

img0362p.jpg

img0365s.jpg

Here are some pictures of the progress:

Cutting about 1/8 inch off the upper sub frame mount on the right side.

dscn0099n.jpg

With the sub frame bolted to the upper mount, shows how far off the lower mounts are:

Right side:

dscn0108t.jpg

Left side:

dscn0109.jpg

Mock up pic before cuttin/welding:

dscn0110v.jpg

Grinding after cutting off lower sub frame mounts:

dscn0120.jpg

Sub frame on the bike after lower mounts were cut off:

dscn0122.jpg

Right lower subframe mount tack welded in place:

dscn0123b.jpg

Left lower subframe mount tack welded:

dscn0124.jpg

The trickness, boxing in the frame:

dscn0128.jpg

dscn0129.jpg

dscn0130.jpg

Going black on the frame and wheels, the hubs will be yellow as well as the motor mounts, the plan is also to polish the sub frame and swing arm. We are also going to be adding an 18inch rear wheel as well as a coolant overflow bottle.

New pics 3/12/09:

Finished boxing in the frame and threw some pain on it so it would show up better for the camera.

Right side:

rightside.jpg

Left Side:

leftsidea.jpg

As I get new pictures, I will simply add the pics to the original post, for ease of viewing.

• Like 1

I got the other side of the frame boxed in. I will take some pictures on Thursday when I head back up to my inlaws to work on the frames. Sunday all the stuff is getting powder coated, so I have alot of stuff to get done between the YZ and my XR.

Keep updating mate, very interested! I like your work so far. I really like how your boxing the frame it will make it look very different. You should powdercoat it silver to give it that alum look.

Cheers

Thought about it, but thought that the black would look better with the yellow plastic.

Nice work. Are you boxing the frame for any real reason, or just for fun?

No real reason, other than thought it would look cool. It did add some weight to the frame, but its gonna be pretty much a woods only bike so figured that the weight was going to be fairly low that it wouldn't matter much.........................unless he is always crashing and having to pick up his bike................if thats the case I will let him ride my XR400 for a bit, then the thing wont seem heavy ?

In all honesty, I was surprised that it took so little work to get the new subframe mounted up. I was expecting alot more work to get it to fit and everything to line up.

cool project, can't wait to see more, nice job.... i have a buddy that hurricained a 1996 yz and p-coated the frame a grahite color. it was trick.

I wonder if it is the same guy I know. The guy I am thinking of has since sold the bike. His YZ turned out sweet.

Well, I haven't seen how the YZ frame turned out, but my stuff turned out looking sweet. My buddy says his frame turned out sweet, and the yellow hubs with the black wheels looks awesome. I will try to get some pictures posted this week.

dude lives in the couve just off ne 162nd ave, i think his name is tyler, i rode a poker run with him one time.

Yeah the guy I am thinking of his name is Ty...........so I am guessing he is probably the same guy. That was one sweet conversion he did. I got some of his pics of his bike and that is what helped me to convince my buddy that he needed to go old school with his bike ?