Sign in to follow this  

06 450x valve job

Hey all! I have about 175hrs on my 06 450x. Always kept up with the oil changes and air filters. Up till now have not done anything inside the engine. Recently and suddenly she became very hard to start. The shop adjusted the valves and said it would only last a few rides. Sure enough about 10hrs later shes back to being a bitch to start. I've tried kicking it instead of electric, gas on/ gas off, choke on/ choke off, no throttle/ some throttle. It seems to come down to luck. She still runs great after started but even after warmed up for an hour its questionable if she'll start up again. Does this sound like a valve job is needed? What does this entail and how much should it cost at a dealer? I'm far from a mechanic so input is appreciated. Thanks

Hey all! I have about 175hrs on my 06 450x. Always kept up with the oil changes and air filters. Up till now have not done anything inside the engine. Recently and suddenly she became very hard to start. The shop adjusted the valves and said it would only last a few rides. Sure enough about 10hrs later shes back to being a bitch to start. I've tried kicking it instead of electric, gas on/ gas off, choke on/ choke off, no throttle/ some throttle. It seems to come down to luck. She still runs great after started but even after warmed up for an hour its questionable if she'll start up again. Does this sound like a valve job is needed? What does this entail and how much should it cost at a dealer? I'm far from a mechanic so input is appreciated. Thanks

Yes it sounds like a valve job is in order for you. I would not look at a dealer doing it unless you feel comfortable with them taking your money. Im sure people hear will chime in on where to send it for the best deal.

In short, assuming your head is still usable, you need valve guides replaced, valve seats re-cut, new valves, and new springs.

The spring buckets, and keepers can be reused.

Also I would throw a new pistion and rings in there too!