Sign in to follow this  

Baja 125 Mods? Any ideas?

Hey guys, I was riding my old 06 baja 125 today since my rm125 is out of commission and realized how bad it really is. I mean, the engine is okay, but the suspension is absolutely horrible and the bike weighs a ton. I am going to start working on it and make it a little bit better. I have to fix broken parts first like putting in a new tube, new front rim, and fixing my broken rear brake. I have heard that xr100 plastics bolt right on, and I am going to eventually find some cr85 forks or something to put on it, but haven't found any rear shock mods or exhausts anywhere. Do you guys have any clue where to get some parts like that? I am also going to find some creative ways to shave weight. Please give me any ideas for cheap parts and where to find them.

dirtbike001.jpg

The bike looks pretty clean and in good condition in the pic,

i would try to fix whatever is wromg with it, maintenance wise, and leave it alone. You could try setting the preload for your weight, if you haven't already, and experiment a little with oil height in the forks, but that bike (and most recreational type bikes -- TTR's, KLX's etc.) weren't really geared towards any type of aggressive riding --- and your particular one, if you beef up one part of the bike, it might magnify weaknesses somewhere else.

Better suspension can lead to bigger jumps, etc., which will lead to cracked welds, -- and some of the aluminum castings (tiple clamps) may not be up to it either.

I mentioned the TTR's and KLX's and i do realize that people modify those to the moon, but there is a little better aftermarket support, and some of those bikes dont even resemble the original machine when they are done with them, for the same reasons (skimpy forks, marginal casting quality on AL parts, cheap rims, poor pegs and/pr peg mounts -- you name it)

what weight fork oil would you recommend. I think that once I get a job this summer, I will change out the fork oil for something better suited for me, open the engine by putting an aftermarket exhaust on it, rejeting, and getting a high performance air filter. I would also like to get a taller handlebar setup since I am 6'1"