Sign in to follow this  

03 KX125 won't turn over...

:p Well, I got out riding on saturday for the first time this year. Previous to saturday, I got my bike ready... Airfilter, Spark plug, Chain, Bars, Header, cleaned the reed, etc. Saturday I went down on ice and broke my clutch lever, long story short came back ripped mine off the xr100r and was out in 10 minutes. Back to this...Sunday got out again....I was so anxious to let it rip...I'm out for about 2 hours...bikes great. Then, upon my putting around...it starts bogging down. I shift down a gear rev it out, on the downrev...she died. :ride: So, I ripped out the plug (not litterally) tried my best to clean it with a lighter, put my finger over the topend and kicked it to clean out the piston and such...tried it...nothing. Had some buddies come back with MULTIPLE plugs, carb cleaner, and started fluid...lite it on fire...litterly on fire for five minutes. Put it in, kick kick, nothing. Put the cap on the plug, held it against the frame...spark...tried kicking it...nothing.

Now, a few things to make important.

1) Normal resistance while pushing in gear.

2) Backfires every 15-20 kicks.

3) Wouldn't catch in gear.

4) Never any problem what so ever with fouling plugs

5) 50:1 premix ratio

PS: The bike never ran bad. I've kept the same premix since day one. The biggest change was the new header. I'm out of ideas.

I think possibly the Exhaust Valve is staying stuck open/closed.

Put the cap on the plug, held it against the frame...spark...tried kicking it...nothing.

i'm confused by this. you held the plug against the frame, then kicked it. did you get spark or no?

i'm confused by this. you held the plug against the frame, then kicked it. did you get spark or no?

You the the boot on the top of the plug...and hold it against the frame and kick to see if theres decent if any amount of spark or not. There was enough spark.

You ran out of gas man.

No.....full tank. :p

Anyone else?

turn off the petcock, tip the bike on the side to drain the gas. Then squirt some gas or starting fluid down the cylinder. If it starts, then its a fuel problem. If it doesn't, then its compression. U said u had spark. U could also try to unhook the kill switch too just to rule that out

I've let the gas run out of the carb and still no kick. I can't try anything until saturday. Give me some more ideas.

Ok I'm completely lost guys. I need some imput here. This past week i've torn it apart, cleaned everything. There was quite a bit of carbon built up in and around the exhaust. Also, the tube that runs from the Exhaust valve was shooting out exhaust like the silencer. Didn't understand that. But everything has been cleaned, there is spark, however, I'm not sure if its a right amount of spark. Here are some things to take into perspective.

1) While riding, the bike slowly died, almost as if I fouled a plug.

2) I tested the coil, and in the book it says it should read about .24 to .33. It read 1.1 Would that be why it doesnt start?

3) When I kick it every few kicks it will backfire. First why does it backfire, and second it backfired so much the one time it shook the ladders on the wall.

I'm out of ideas. This thing just won't start. Please

The pilot and choke circuits are dirty. Spray them out with carb cleaner and blow them out with compressed air. How fresh is the air filter? You might also have an air leak somewhere in the intake tract.

The air filter isn't new but it is clean. I just don't understand this at all. You mentioned the choke circuits but I don't understand. The choke is a hand choke. I can play with it but i don't fully comprehend. I'm leaning towards the coil thats wrong.

The choke and pilot jet circuits are the ports in the carb body the air and fuel flow from the bowl into the venturi through. If they are plugged or dirty the bike won't run. Have you done a compression test yet? That is the true way to see if you need a top end. 145+ PSI is what you want.

Well, earlier today I pulled the magneto cover off. It was rusted and filled with water. I cleaned it out with WD-40 and such. I was very pleased to think I found what was wrong, kick...kick...kick, backfire. Nothing at all. Next is cleaning the carb.

Yeah, water under that cover can be an issue. Get that carb cleaned out and ride.

You never said if you tried it with a new plug? I've seen fouled plugs have spark when testing them only to have them not work when installed.

Yes I've tried new plugs. Multiple as a matter of fact. I'm going to try this again. Damn smokers. When your neighbor has a 09 kx250f in the back of his pickup, it's like a smack in the face. He just brought one home...FML

I would take a smoker over a poker any day of the week. A poker will give you far more headaches than a smoker any day if they are not maintained to the T!