Sign in to follow this  

xl.....xr ....motor interchange ??

I was offered a deal on a 1984 xl600r with clean paper and a bad cam chain as far as I know......I have an 89' xr600 with a sweet running motor.....my question....can they be swapped??

Is the xl motor worth rebuilding ??

thanks for any input

Bob

How do you mean swapped..89's got the single carb..83-86 has the doubles..Mods will be necessary for that..The engines will swap in and out of the frames just fine..

I want to install the 89' motor in the 84' frame......I will change the throttle/cables also....

Is the dual carb motor a better choice in your opinion?

At $250 for the xl its hard to pass up !!

Stock for stock, the dual carb. XL engine makes more power than the '89 XR engine. The XL engine is definately worth rebuilding. It's a bit of a hot rod motor with its dual carbs, big bore short stroke and larger than the late model stuff head pipes. I did a build up on one using an XR650L bottom end. If you're interested, here it is. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585568&highlight=xl600r+xr650l+hybrid And another more recent one. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658478&highlight=another+600+project

thanks for the replies.......I think i will throw in the xr motor while I rebuild the xl motor.......wish it had electric start !!

thanks for the replies.......I think i will throw in the xr motor while I rebuild the xl motor.......

So you are going to put the XR motor in the XL..Swap the Stators over if thats the case so you don't need to piddle around with any electrics. They are slightly different in the fact that the XL runs a battery and has a few more components in the electrical chain...XR's the better bike in my opinion.Your carb setup is going to be a problem as well .XR frame/Shock positioning is different in that area than the XL..XR carb is offset to an angle to I believe avoid the shock..XL's do it different so It's not just a simple matter of changing carb intake flanges or heads over to accommodate the change either..something for you to ponder.

Went to go look at/buy the 84' XL600.....complete junk...rotted frame, motor taken apart, missing all lights,electrics etc..... I will look for something 10 or so years old.....any suggestions !!

Looking for an electric start thumper, reliable......some offroad, not much.

thanks for the replies

Well, the big three that always come up in questions such as this is the Honda XR650L, Suzuki DR650, Kawasaki KLR650. All good reliable machines as far as I'm concerned. Usually the breakdown goes something like this: More off road than on=Honda. More on road than off= Suzuki. Way more on road than off= Kawasaki, although there's always exceptions to the rule.

There's tons of info on these bikes on here and www.advrider.com .