Sign in to follow this  

Axle grease question

Just goy my 11 year old son a 2003 xr 80. I have been away from this for 30 years and am waiting for my clymer in the mail. We replaced the rear brake shoes this weekend and are ready to reinstall the wheel. Not sure what type of grease to use on the axle. I have molybdenum disulfide and wanted to make sure this would be OK

Thanks

a Tub of Lucas oils grease, It has great water dispersion properties and stands up to heat well. An I like to sponsor companies that support motorsports.

One of the best brands of grease to use is Green Grease waterproof multi- purpose synthetic polymer grease industry proven for over 30 years "The Best Grease Money Can Buy",Bell grease or other bearing grease found at most automotive or motor cycle dealers will work .

One thing i always do is to remove the seal on the bearing and repack it with good grease. I've gotten brand new bearings that had almost no grease in them from the factory. Try it first on an old bearing to get the hang of removing the seal without destroying the lip. I use a small pick or very small flathead screw driver. Work it under the lip and slowly pry upwards as you work around the bearing. It should pop off without much effort but will bend easily. I usually take both sides off and press the grease through the bearing. then, just press the seals back on and the excess grease will squirt out.

One thing i always do is to remove the seal on the bearing and repack it with good grease. I've gotten brand new bearings that had almost no grease in them from the factory. Try it first on an old bearing to get the hang of removing the seal without destroying the lip. I use a small pick or very small flathead screw driver. Work it under the lip and slowly pry upwards as you work around the bearing. It should pop off without much effort but will bend easily. I usually take both sides off and press the grease through the bearing. then, just press the seals back on and the excess grease will squirt out.

Ditto that, because in all honesty it doesn't really do much to grease the axle as it doesn't move, the bearing spins on the axle. I grease my axle out of habit though, I guess for steel axles it could be a rust inhibitor to help the bearing from freezing on the axle.

The axles don't need grease because of motion, but they do need grease for rust protection so that you will be able to remove the axle for the next maintenance event. Same thing for the swing arm bolt, best to grease it now for the same reason.

IMO the best greases are the marine synthetic water proof greases because of their water resistance.

Thanks everybody for your help. I have been teaching my son to work on his new (2003) xr80. He had alot of fun with the grease, but mom is not too pleased. Got the rear wheel back on with the brakes working. Axle is greased with waterproof grease, so hopefully it will come out unrusted! Thanks again everybody for your input.

..... I have been teaching my son to work on his new (2003) xr80. He had alot of fun with the grease, but mom is not too pleased. ......

Just remember:

"Hell has no wrath like a women with freshly greased carpet.":bonk: :)

Don't ask.