Oil Cooler install "PICS"

2005_0101Image0025.jpg

2005_0101Image0024.jpg

2005_0101Image0023.jpg

2005_0101Image0021.jpg

2005_0101Image0020.jpg

2005_0101Image0019.jpg

How about a little info! What kind of oil cooler,did you make any brackets?:p

Here is my oil cooler install completed today.

Tapped lines above the exhaust.

My own aluminum bracket, solid but will alow the cooler to move back toward the engine in rare case of rock or stump during step off. I have always wondered why people mount that thing directly to the engine bolts, as the cooler will not hold the bikes weight, so will probably rip the cooler in half if hits hard. I have about 2-3" of bend back and in, in case of contact.

Cooler is inverted, ok as per jagg (called tech) Down side, need to pull and drain every few oil changes, as the oil will not drain out. I figure this is no problem at all due to the easy access of the lines and mount.

I used Earls high perf oil line. As per jagg the lines shipped are of the lowest grade, but said that due to extremely low oil pressures on these bikes it works fine. Well, I did not want to take that chance. Earls is expensive but norm op temp of 300 degrees at 250psi, I figure its as good as steel line.

The bend is well within Earls minimum bend limit.

The pick looks like the hose is near the exhaust, but actually about 2.5" away from left pipe.

Plenty of room to get the plug out also.

Took it out today, but could not get the bike over 150 degrees (only 62 out today)

Next simple mesh gaurd-- just to stop the rocks from bending the fins....

I will post temp improvements soon.

YAAAAAAAAA been planing this for a while.

Sorry for the dely on the info, posted pics first.

The cooler is Jagg

This is the same core as most people use but has the tabs not the treaded holes.

I got it for about $100 so whent for it.

I then realize that the tabs will alow it to bend back as part of a crumple effect in case of an impact.

The thing mounted solid without excesive vibration.

The mount is simple "l" bracket (seen in the pic) and a 3/4" wide aluminum strip bent into sort of a "u" shape, sort of.

So happy ... ready for the 100+ degrees this season

Oh ya.

As for the oil Jagg says 6oz more for the core.

I figured that + a couple for the extra line...

I droped 2pt + 8oz of amsoil in

Looks good....

Some more pic

I was searching for months for some good pics before I stared my install, not allot of really good shots out there.

I hope this helps some others

2003_1104Image0003-1.jpg

2003_1104Image0005-1.jpg

2003_1104Image0002.jpg

2003_1104Image0001.jpg

One question is there a drain plug at the bottom of the oil cooler? Or do you have to unhook the cooler to drain the oil when you change the oil? Looks good. I am getting ready to do the same thing to my pig soon.

Yea the Jagg cooler is great but they quit selling the complete kits for the XRL. When I bought mine it was 10 years ago and they still sold the complete kit. You mounted it where mine is but hooked up the cooler line to the other oil line.

Nice job.

Ray

Thanks guys,

Truck, ya I called Jag and asked about the kit they once sold. They said that the kit was not discond. due to problems or function but tooling was changed, then they just never got back into it. He did say they worked well, and had been no issues over the years on the XR's

brupska, no drain plug. That is really the only (-) about mounting inverted. I looked at all options for running the lines, and this looked the best to me. I did not like the idea of having to thread the hose all around the bottom of the bike to get it to hook into the oil lie at the bottom. This way it is smooth turns. Also, the cooler and lines are so easy to get to like this, I felt no problem pulling the cooler to drain it. I think I will just drain every other oil change. All engines retain a bit of old oil after draining..

As for the install, the only thing left is the rock screen, and I am going to shorten the outside line just a bit to bring it in a bit.