Sign in to follow this  

What's this pin for?

I was draining my oil today so I can do the Primary Nut fix and found this stuck to my oil plug (lower one). The only thing I can figure is it's from my auto decomp that broke a while back. I chopped the auto decomp off BTW. The oil hasn't been changed since before that happened and it doesn't run any different. Am I on track or can someone shed some light on what this pin goes to... thanks in advance....:p

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Was the pin missing on the autodecomp when u removed it?

Could it be a roller from a roller bearing?

Pretty lucky that pin didnt grenade your mill.

Was the pin missing on the autodecomp when u removed it?

Could it be a roller from a roller bearing?

Pretty lucky that pin didnt grenade your mill.

There was part of the pin there but I don't know how long it was supposed to be. A friend mentioned roller bearings as well but I'm not sure where they are to check them. I'm still fairly new to this motor. I know I'm real lucky it got thru with no apparent damage....:p

you can see the small pin from the auto decomp in all these pics

hope they help

I believe I kept the whole assembly so I should be able to measure it. But it will not be for another two weeks till I am back at the location where the parts reside.

auto-decomp-1.jpg

auto_decomp3.jpg

auto-decompremoved1-1.jpg

auto-decompremoved4.jpg

Jbw

• Like 1

The trip from the head to the drain plug is a long one if not impossible for a pin of that size to travel.

I would stop running that motor till you figure out whats going on.

you can see the small pin from the auto decomp in all these pics

hope they help

I believe I kept the whole assembly so I should be able to measure it. But it will not be for another two weeks till I am back at the location where the parts reside.

auto-decomp-1.jpg

auto_decomp3.jpg

auto-decompremoved1-1.jpg

auto-decompremoved4.jpg

Jbw

I'm pretty sure that pin was not in my auto decomp when I cut it off. When the auto decomp went, it sounded like my engine was going to explode. The auto decomp in how I found TT. It looks just like that pin in your photos. The only bearings I see that would have a roller that small is the crank bearing. i really hope that ain't it.....:ride: If you could measure it that would be awesome!!

The trip from the head to the drain plug is a long one if not impossible for a pin of that size to travel.

I would stop running that motor till you figure out whats going on.

I will have some of it apart for the primary nut so I'll start checking things as ya'll make suggestions. I'm not sure what bearing have pins that small in the engine. Looking at microfiche, it looks like the crank bearing has tiny pins like that. I really hope that's not it....:p

could 've fallen down the cam chain tunnel into the sump fairly easily but i would try to find out exactly where it comes from before starting it again.

the rod bearing is a roller type so possible but i think the motor would make some funny noises if it managed to get out.

• Like 1

Set your camera to macro/flower and take another closeup pic.

could be from the shift drum bearings,shifter shaft or clutch release shaft also.

hard to see the size.

Set your camera to macro/flower and take another closeup pic.

I've been trying to do this but my camera is a POS.... it looks clear til the pic then it's blurry again....:p

These are the best ones I can get..... It is broken uneve on one side and sorta rounded on the other

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

im thinking thats from your auto decomp.roller bearings usually have tapered ends.if it came from your bottom end you would of grenaded it by now

• Like 1

haha thats messed up. One lucky pin to avoid everything. I just put a web cam from xrs only and had to take out the auto decompress. I thought the pins were split. Probably wrong though. Still real lucky.

• Like 1

im thinking thats from your auto decomp.roller bearings usually have tapered ends.if it came from your bottom end you would of grenaded it by now

That's what I was thinking but it's always nice to get the opinion of those that know more about this bike...thanks for your input.....:p

Play Lotto ASAP...your new lucky charm.

• Like 1

From the decomp. Fell down the cam chain tunnel and eventually found the drain plug magnet.

Excellent...:p That is music to my ears b/c I've been racking my poor brain thinking of all the things it could be. Thank you very much!!

Play Lotto ASAP...your new lucky charm.

I could just go throw some cash on the tables, I am in Vegas after all....:moon: Thanks for your help brother.....:ride:

I found another pic that may be better. Ignore the arrows.

tappet_pin-1.jpg

Jbw