Sign in to follow this  

cornering?

Your gonna laugh but Jeremy Mcgrath has a video out back in i think 04 about the basic techniques. I watched and I started applying and my corner speed is way up. It really helped my entrance to ruts and accellerating out. Here is a tip when in a corner slide your ass over to the edge of seat of course the outside edge and remember to slide up on tank and put your inside foot straight out this actually transfers weight to front wheel and allows for better front wheel traction and steering. This eventually helped me to class up in my racing and now I am having a lot more fun battling with a more seasoned class of riders who actually hold their lines. Hope this helps.

There are many different techniques when it comes to corenering because there are so many different types of corners but here are a few tips:

-Keep your outside elbow up.

-Slide over the outside edge of the seat.

-A little bit of the front brake helps the bike to turn faster in tight spaces.

-Put your weight forward and your head over the handlebars.

-Be smooth on the throttle and the clutch.

-Try not to lock up the rear wheel on a 4 stroke to turn.

-Try to do most of your braking before the middle of the corner.

-Never coast. When you let off the brakes, apply immediatly the throttle.

-Gradually decrease the front and rear brakes as you are increasing the throttle.

-Put your inside leg straight only after you have done like half of the corner and it get on the foot pegs as soon as possible. For a rutted corner, put your inside leg out for all of the corner and enter in the rut with both wheels the most parallel as possible with it.

-Try to stay centered on the bike and put your weight the lowest possible on the bike to lower the center of gravity.

Cornering is an art form. To get really good at it you have to have a lot of talent, know all the techniques inside and out and then practice it frequently in many ways over a long period of time.

There’s much more to cornering than just leaning over and going through the turn. There are things like the angle of the corners, whether they’re banked or off-camber, sharp or sweeping, and the conditions of the track. Then there are the techniques of cornering between the rider and motorcycle. There are even techniques that affect the handling of the motorcycle in the corner. These techniques make the motorcycle either hold the track or brake loose and pivot, slide through the corner.

In order to do a corner fast you need to carry as much speed as possible and as long as possible into the corner, slow yourself down just enough to still have control at the exit dex, (the exit dex is where you go from braking to accelerating) and then get on the gas as soon and as hard as possible. In order to carry a lot of speed into the corners, you need to have a fast and late approach dex (the approach dex is where you go from accelerating to braking). With this in mind, we can understand that a very important part of cornering is braking. To be good at cornering, you have to be good at braking.

Of course, all through the corner, you have to maintain complete relaxed control. Tightness and mistakes will only make you tired and slow you down, if not make you crash. Remember, you can only try as hard, and go as fast, as you can do the basic techniques correctly and maintain relaxed control. So, if you’re tight or making mistakes, you will benefit by slowing down, which in turn will allow you to learn how to go faster.

In others words, it takes much more finesse than just charging into the turns at full speed and hoping you’ll be able to make it when you get in there. You have to constantly anticipate exactly what is going to happen just before it happens. You have to know the exact line that you want to be on. That line should take you to the best possible traction for the exit dex. You see, it’s very important to know exactly where your front tire is going, so you can find the best traction at the most critical part of the turn. This is where you’re going to be turning the most, at the exit dex. Again, make sure your front tire is going exactly where you want it to go. If you’re doing the techniques correctly, the back tire will also go exactly where you want it to go. For much more in-depth cornering info check out my DVD #7 (All about Cornering). For video downloads www.mxraceschool.com for main site www.gsmxs.com:)

I haven't been riding for very long but last time at the track I learned to stay on the throttle through the turn. Before, I would cut the throttle in fear of sliding out in the turn but what would end up happening is I would go too slow and the front wheel would catch and I would dump it. Maintaining the throttle, even only a little bit, through the tight turns increased my speed tremendously.

wow thanks for the replys everyone!!! I'm definatly lacking on my technique!

Thanks Gary!!! your help is much appreciated with your guys tips I am getting a lot faster in the turns and jumps. A friend of mine i rode with yesterday said its all about how you come out of the corner. thanks everyone at tt.

Listen to Gary, but I will add as you gain more confidence in the corners you need to look to the end of the corner, don't look straight in front of you. This will lead your bike and body through the corner. After you feel good with this technique you need to start trusting yourself and you will start having faster corner speed. What I mean by trusting yourself is knowing when you can do something and just doing it.