Sign in to follow this  

Girl Rider

i just bought my girlfriend an 07 CRF150RE, and this is her 1st dirt bike. i pick it up this Thursday, she is so excited.

she rides my Ducati Monster 600 and she has a bike license, so riding a bike won't be a problem, but she is nervous about riding off-road. any tips from other female riders I'm sure would calm her nerves :p

Send her over to the Thumpette forum here on thumpertalk. They are a great set of girls and very supportive!

I had been riding off road previously and my husband bought me a new 08 CRF150R. It had more power and a quicker hit than I was used to for off road. He put a heavier flywheel, G2 throttle cam and dropped 1 tooth down on the counter shaft sprocket and it made all the difference in the world. It made the power much more linear for tight trail riding.

You will need to slip the clutch to control the power ............that clutch lever will be your best friend on the trails.

I love the bike now..

I had been riding off road previously and my husband bought me a new 08 CRF150R. It had more power and a quicker hit than I was used to for off road. He put a heavier flywheel, G2 throttle cam and dropped 1 tooth down on the counter shaft sprocket and it made all the difference in the world. It made the power much more linear for tight trail riding.

You will need to slip the clutch to control the power ............that clutch lever will be your best friend on the trails.

I love the bike now..

a flywheel weight would be a good idea, where did he get it from?

It was a Steahly Products, Inc. flywheel (9 oz.). The part # is 520.

Their website is steahlyoffroad.com

Phone # 1 800 800-2363

Enjoy!

It was a Steahly Products, Inc. flywheel (9 oz.). The part # is 520.

Their website is steahlyoffroad.com

Phone # 1 800 800-2363

Enjoy!

thanks, i looked on rockymountain MX/ATV and found the same one, i ordered it yesterday. did you notice a big difference?

Yes, the flywheel made the power more controlable for trail riding. I would still think about the throttle cam............for me the throttle was pretty touchy and the combination of the two made it less like an on-off switch. Maybe the flywheel will be enough in your case since you are up in altitude in Colorado.

Have fun.

a part was added on my flywhell on my bike too, otherwise it's too bad :)

An easy and VERY EFFECTIVE relatively cheap product (in the scheme of moto products) is the G2 throttle cam (as stated above)

They are EXCELLENT for new riders as you can choose less agressive "cam profiles" that slow down the speed in which the throttle cable moves in relation to the grip turning.

This really helps control the hit of this bike.

As she gets better and more comfortable, you can just increase the throttle cams (they come with 3 profiles) to suit here style of riding.

If you decide to order one, and she is really nervous ... start with a 700 Cam (you will have to special order this one .. like an extra $10 or something). The profile on this cam will slow the throttle cable pull down very substantially and let her learn how the bike reacts. Some like 1/3 of the "normal" pull for the first half of the twist. Takes the "light switch" on/off power completely away and smooths it out.

All in all, perhaps one of the BEST investments for a newbie to this bike. Works very well in conjunction with the flywheel weight.

My wife (and I) now use the 200 cam ... great for woods riding.

http://g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/DirtMotocross-3-1.html

Good luck and hope your wife enjoys the bike :)

An easy and VERY EFFECTIVE relatively cheap product (in the scheme of moto products) is the G2 throttle cam (as stated above)

They are EXCELLENT for new riders as you can choose less agressive "cam profiles" that slow down the speed in which the throttle cable moves in relation to the grip turning.

This really helps control the hit of this bike.

As she gets better and more comfortable, you can just increase the throttle cams (they come with 3 profiles) to suit here style of riding.

If you decide to order one, and she is really nervous ... start with a 700 Cam (you will have to special order this one .. like an extra $10 or something). The profile on this cam will slow the throttle cable pull down very substantially and let her learn how the bike reacts. Some like 1/3 of the "normal" pull for the first half of the twist. Takes the "light switch" on/off power completely away and smooths it out.

All in all, perhaps one of the BEST investments for a newbie to this bike. Works very well in conjunction with the flywheel weight.

My wife (and I) now use the 200 cam ... great for woods riding.

http://g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/DirtMotocross-3-1.html

Good luck and hope your wife enjoys the bike :)

Did you see the new Delrin designed tubes. Those look trick. Great price too.

To stay on topic. We put the 9 ounce FWW on my wife's bike recently. She really liked the change. It is definately noticable improvement. It isn't so quick to lift the front wheel or spin the rear tire now.

ben

Did you see the new Delrin designed tubes. Those look trick. Great price too.

To stay on topic. We put the 9 ounce FWW on my wife's bike recently. She really liked the change. It is definately noticable improvement. It isn't so quick to lift the front wheel or spin the rear tire now.

ben

No, but thanks for pointing them out :)

I "need" 2 new throttle tubes now :banghead: Will definitely check them out!!