Sign in to follow this  

Will a pumper carb help me out? I hope so... ( need your opinions)

Hey everyone, I have been riding my recently kustom kraft big-bored klx250 around it has a muzzy, kdx snorkel and dyno jet kit and I am not saying I am dissapointed but well, It's just not as great as I thought it would be. Like the bike has much better acceleration, especially down low. And it can actually pop wheelies in first now with no clutch! and in second too with a little bit of work.

I have heard that a pumper carb makes a world of difference. I am seriously considering getting one. Does the pumper make better use of the power? DOes it make it feel like there is more power? I know it is good for wheelies but how about acceleration? I just hope a pumper is what I need because I feel like a bike with all the mods I have done to this one should have a little better performance. What I want most is just to be able to do a rolling wheelie in second with no clutch. I can now wheelie in first which I could not before but for second you need A LOT of anticipation and almost let it stall then pull on the bars and .... you know the carb sucks!

On the street it's decent but I justed some opinions do you guys think a pumper really compliments a big bore kit? I have heard so many great things about the KK330 and I like mine a lot I am just wishing for a little bit more performance and acceleration. Thanks alot for all your help!

My '99 KLX300 would wheelie fairly easily in 3rd with the free mods, FSW header, 13T countershaft sprocket, and DynoJet carb kit. Now with the pumper it wheelies easier, a couple of rides ago I actually pulled it up in 5th, cresting a rise, speed, rpm, conditions just right.

You might want to change your gearing if have not already done that, it is a cheap upgrade to do and at this point you have nothing to lose. I have the TM36-68 on my KK330 and I really enjoy it a lot but I did the big bore and the pumper together so I cannot tell you which one helped the most. It is quite a lot different to ride now that all of the mods are done!

Dennis

Yeah like I don't wanna give the wrong idea here. The bike rocks now like the accelerarion is so great even down low. I am in break in so i can't go about 6 grand but I did one time just to test it out and right around 7000 with the big bore it is awesome... the bike no longer gets to 75 and then slowly pulls up to 85.... it pulls very hard right up to 80 ( havent gone any faster than that its scary enough as it is) but my only concern is its really difficult to loft the front wheel while riding like if I want to do this, I have to slow down to a crawl and anything besides first gear is a hassle. It just seems like i twist the throttle and theres too much delay for the immediate power which causes the front to rise. I am guessing this is an ideal situation that a pumper would help?

Just curious - how do you know how many rpm you're turning while riding? Have you calculated your overall gear ratios or are you just making a best guess?

Doh! I guess having the tach makes it a bit easier to know what revs you're running!

If you know what the rev limiter hits at, you can guess pretty good where your at. :)

A pumper carb's main benefit is removing delay in the lower rpm range. The instant vacuum caused by opening the throttle (slide or butterfly) causes a momentary lean condition. The accellerator pump injects a small jet of fuel straight into the intake during the transition from off-idle to mid range, thus you'll feel a lot less delay or bog when you blip the throttle during wheelies or when trying to loft the front wheel.

Yeah, I thought about doing that but I kinda use this thing as a commuter too and i need to go about 75mph on the way to work so i dont wanna have the RPMs all the up there. I know this sounds like such a crazy dream but i think the pumper is all I have left to buy before completing my true " all-around bike " this bike is great is performs excellent offroad and will easily sprint up to 105 if I need it to... all i need now is better throttle response for doing those wheelies ( which I only need to do to look cool!)