Sign in to follow this  

Pre-oiled = over-oiled?

I normally use Twin Air filters with No Toil oil. I needed some new filters, so I got the No Toil pre-oiled filters. First thing I noticed was how much oil they have in them! A lot more than I put in.

I normally run oil around the inside of a clean filter, squeeze it, and then check the outside of the filter. I'll add a little oil to the outside where the filter still shows white, squeeze some more until the color is evenly distributed, and install. The pre-oiled filter, though, shows dark red areas which indicate oil that I could squeeze out.

Reason I'm asking is that after installing the pre-oiled filter, my bike ran really rich. Having just gone thru this with my '05 Grizzly 660 ATV, I recognized an over-oiled filter producing a way too rich running condition (not flowing air). Inside the garage, I removed the air filter and the bike revved clean and normal. Put the filter back on, it sputters badly on full throttle. Oiled one of my old filters, put it on, bike revved just fine.

My question is- do you think I'm under-oiling my filters, or do you think the pre-oiled is over-oiled?

That filter is probably over oiled because it might sit on a shelf for a long time before somebody buys it. I use pour on oil on my filters, after I wring them out, I let them sit for 10-15 minutes then I sqeeze them out again with a clean rag, try to get as much excess oil out as you can.

They are not over oiled. The problem is like mentioned as they either sit in a box or hang on the rack and the oil runs with gravity. Remove the filter from the bag and with the cheesy gloves they provide work the oil back into the entire filter then install it. I use those filters about 20 times after the first without any issue. Get a big bucket of oxyclean and either throw the filters in the washing machine alone or in the kitchen sink.

They are not over oiled.

Then my filters must be under-oiled? The bike wouldn't take full-throttle with the pre-oiled filters and did just fine with mine, so the filter made the difference.

It could be that I'm on the verge of being too rich and the filter pushes it over the line, but I want to decide if I'm dealing with too much oil or too little oil before I rejet.

I say get it out of the bag, then grab several paper towels and squeeze away.

Probably what I'll do. But just think if I'd done this for the first time at the track! Sure glad I decided to check everything out at home.

Oh, hey... I was thinking of something else. As you, Mr. KDX G, know, I recently sealed my airbox boot with non-silicone sealer because some of you saw pictures of my piston and wondered if it was sucking dirt. I wonder if I had a small air leak letting more air into the carb, which I unknowingly corrected with richer jetting. Now that the box is sealed, maybe there's less air going in and the bike's running richer and I DO need to rejet. Something to consider, I think.

From my experience they are over oiled. Take it out of the bag and ring it out. Then roll the filter will paper towels to soak up the excess oil.

i just wondering,i know most of the oils ive used say that you have to let them sit for awhile to dry an tack up,so is this the same case here.so if you take it out of the package an put it in an run it it will not have time to tack up.kawie

i just wondering,i know most of the oils ive used say that you have to let them sit for awhile to dry an tack up,so is this the same case here.so if you take it out of the package an put it in an run it it will not have time to tack up.kawie

That's a good thought, but actually, the filter was on the bike for a couple of days before I got around to starting and running it. If it gets any tackier, it's not gonna flow air AT ALL!

I've been using NoToil for about 5 years now and believe me, this filter is loaded with probably 50% more oil that I've ever used. I'm going down to the barn later today and will squeeze it and paper towel it and report back.

:ride::moon:

I went out, started the bike with my air filter in it, let it warm up- revved it and blurbber, blurbber... same thing! Hmmm.... well, maybe I fixed an air leak and need to rejet. I just recently dropped 1 size on the main jet, what with warmer weather here, so I'd thought I'd try the previous main jet again just to see what might happen- just to verify for sure that it's rich. Removed the throttle slide, rotated the carb, dropped the jet access hatch and guess what's staring me in the face? The main jet. :moon: I guess I forgot to tighten it when I was cleaning the carb during my recent top-end and it vibrated loose. Put it back in, snugged it down. Problem solved. Went riding.

:p

AMAZING how well the bike actually ran w/out the main jet! It wasn't until 1/2 throttle that it really started bogging and it really only bogged at 3/4-full throttle.

:ride: I hate it when that happens!

Glad you got it figgered out :p

Dude. :) LOL

The needle pretty much kept it shut off until you raised out of the way of the size 6000 main jet (none) :banghead:

Yeah, yeah... I know!! I tell ya, though, I was really surprised that it even ran at all! And what was funny was that w/out the air filter it almost sounded right! That's encouraging in a way because it says there's gotta be a little latitude when actually jetting.

Have you ever had a main jet fall out before? I'm sure what happened was I was cleaning the carb and just didn't tighten the jet down for some reason- probably left the 6mm on the other bench or something.