Sign in to follow this  

shop manual or valve instructions

im looking for the website that have to xr650L shop manual on it. i had it before from someone on here and cant find it. or some detailed instructions on how the adjust my valves on my L. i have never done valves before so im cluless to a certiant extent.

http://www.repairmanualclub.com/motomanuals/

Have a look at that site..Theres 4 pages of Hondas there and various XL/XL's and possibly the 650L.They are all much the same in most depts apart from the Electric start and saves me explaining the procedure for Tappet adjustment for the tenth time.

You start by setting the engine to "top dead center" on the compression stroke. You remove the four round cover plates and have access to check the valves. Also remove the access covers on the left side of the motor for the flywheel and the crank nut (to turn the engine over). I find it helps a lot to pull out the plug before trying to move the engine and you get to inspect that as well.

Access is a reletive term. It'll be tight for sure. I'd just remove the tank.

Anyway, you should be able to slide a feeler straight in. Thats the best way to describe it. Just push it straight in, almost horizontal.

Intake clearance .004"

Exhaust clearance .005"