Sign in to follow this  

Removing Rear Spring From The Bike What The Heck!

I have done this on numerous bikes and this one has me stumped. Used the search but very few photos.

What the heck and I missing??? :p

How do I slip the spring off the shock. It is making contact with the swingarm :ride:

Let the flaming begin! :moon:

488387527_jDyKT-M.jpg

488387518_qAaec-L.jpg

488387380_xQ6vM-M.jpg

Already done... The spring is caught between the lower link and the swingarm. The lower link nuts are not easily accessible with a socket

:p:ride: I don't know how to help you, but I must say that I LOVE your shop. Holy crap, that thing's as big as my house! :moon:

Yes but the lower link is striking the engine cases not the plate. Thanks...

....and the castellated adjusters are all the way up?

Not sure why you did not remove the shock before trying to remove the spring though at this point, it does not matter. You may have to continue taking stuff off till it becomes free or possibly use a bunch of zip ties on the spring to compress it a little.

Yes the adjusters are all the way up. Did not think I had to remove the shock. Thought I could loosen the bottom mount and slide the spring off the

bottom and slide the new spring back on and install the retainer like I have done on so many other bikes.

Looks like I may have to remove the lower link although it looks impossible to get to with a socket and impact gun.

:p:ride: I don't know how to help you, but I must say that I LOVE your shop. Holy crap, that thing's as big as my house! :moon:

Thanks...

When we did mine we took everything apart but later eddie told me to take the pipe off and get it out the top???

There are 3 ways to remove the shock. You are going to have to use 1 of them.

- Remove the sub frame

- Remove the exhaust and slip it out the side.

- Remove the swing arm. Not that hard and at this point is what I would do.

You should not have to remove the shock to replace the spring. I changed mine and the spring slipped right out the bottom of the bike like a smooth turd.

Unfortunately, it's been so long that I forget the details. I may have pulled the linkage off.

I removed the rear link and the spring slid right off. Took a couple of 17mm box wrenches and a rubber mallet and finally broke the nut loose. I usually don't like removing a nut or bolt on a suspension unit unless I know I can get a torque wrench on it. Thanks to all who offered advice.

We need more pictures of your shop, that thing is awesome. I love vintage signs and old gas and oil stuff.

Me Likey the shop too, Especially the TOOLS.

I worked for a company that used to make those exact signs. They lost the contract.

You can still get them from the distributor its called Desperate Enterprises, last I heard they had a new vendor and a new location in Medina Ohio.

I pulled the pipe and took the entire shock out through the top/side where the pipe was.