Sign in to follow this  

Jumps/whoops

What is the best way to build jumps that will last and that are forgiving for a beginner jumper. I have access to a few four wheelers shovels buckets and rakes. I also have access to unlimited dirt and sand. The 650 four wheeler has a box to haul with. Thanks for your help:)

Moist (not soaked/muddy) dirt will pack down and hold together better. Sand will be loose and fall appart easy. Where abouts are you in Michigan?

I used to take fallen down trees and cut them up into 4-6 foot sections and use them as the base for the jumps then fill dirt in and over the logs. Takes up a lot of space (less dirt needed), and makes the jump sturdy.

Use the land features to your advatage. I know people who have put big rocks and logs in their jumps to take up space, but they can roll or rot. If you have unlimited dirt, put some dirt down, pack it, repeat this until you have the size you want relatively. Then once you have a big pile of packed dirt, scrape out a jump :p

The best thing to do to have a forgiving jump is to use clay, as it will last longer. You can use something that has bigger grains like silt or sand for the landing. Make it a tabletop, so that if you come up short you can still live through it.

I see you're from Michigan. If you can build your jump just before winter, the snow will pack it down and it will be perfect come spring. That's how we do it here in Canada and it works well.

Build the jump (tabletop) out of whatever dirt you have. To make the face last, install a round fence post across the top, staple or use roofing nails and attach a length of outdoor carpet and run it down the face of the jump. once you attach the carpet, roll the post a bit for more strength then install it at the top of the jump. This will keep the face nearly perfect condition with no ruts.

Get some bigger Equipment. It will take forever to build a jump the way you are describing. I recommend a 3 yard loader at least.

i dont have money for that. Is there a good way to make whoops like how far apart should they be to skim them in third gear on a 250f?

http://dirtwurx.com/track_tips4.php

You're going to want more than third gear for whoops. With my 125 or 250F, I'm hitting them in 4th or 5th. You always want to enter whoops a gear high, so you don't run out of power. If that happens, your front end will drop, causing you to fall.

oh ok i thought that i just wasnt sure what gear. and why tempting?

hey i only live about an 45 minutes south of you..I built a track in my back yard with my fourwheeler, trail and a shovel, and 3 dumb kids having nothing better to do then ride till we run out of gas.

What we did for are jumps (including woops) is we would lay down the jump little by little...every so often all of us would climb on the fourwheeler (for more weight) and go slow enough over the jump to pack it down but not tear it apart...we did this until we had the entire thing built... biggest jump we put in was a 50 foot double but the most dirt we moved for a jump was a 30 foot table (that took FOR Ever!! but was worth it :)) The best way to do it is just work for a few hours then go relax and ride your bike for an hour or so it will keep you wanting to work instead of just being board of moving dirt all day....But hey that was last year know im much smarter thoe and went out invested in a chainsaw and 2 bobcats so this year my back yard will be treeless and i will have a very nice track :banghead:

yeah im in the woods so it cant be wide but we have a chainsaw and a huge arctic cat 650 quad so its like a bobcat lol but im just gonna build some small ones and work my way up to big ones and build a whole track. where di u get bobcats and how much? Where do u live?

yeah im in the woods so it cant be wide but we have a chainsaw and a huge arctic cat 650 quad so its like a bobcat lol but im just gonna build some small ones and work my way up to big ones and build a whole track. where di u get bobcats and how much? Where do u live?

Yeah my back yard is 100% woods...first we cut down all the trees with a axe >< but any who....I know a buddy that has 2 bob cats and he said we just need to get gas for them and we can use them for how ever long we need...and i live on the south side of West Branch

oh thats right on the way tp the place we go (cabin) how many acres i have a short track right now but want to extedn it with like some mx stuff and some woods stuff. how wide is ur track?

oh thats right on the way tp the place we go (cabin) how many acres i have a short track right now but want to extedn it with like some mx stuff and some woods stuff. how wide is ur track?

its not a very big track, its 200' by 200' Track runs about 8-10 feet wide...It dont seem like alot of space until you actually clear out the area and you see what you got to work with.. I got just about the same amount of space as a indoor track...Plus it dont need to by no 20 feet wide, its prefect for 2 people riding side by side and when i have my buddy's over (about 10 of us) we just go by the rules of only 2 side by side, and keep some space in between each other so incase someone crashes we got some room to get out of the way.

I would get you some pics, but i still have 4 inches on the track thoe, but hey maybe this weekend it will go away so i can finally start preparing for this years first race...24 days! Woot