Sign in to follow this  

Onan generator problem...Please Help!

Our 4kw Onan generator in our 1995 Class C Motorhome has been having some strange symptoms lately. Generator has 163 hrs on it.

If it has not been started for a while it will run on its own for 4-5 mins then die.

If you try to start it immeaditaely after it dies, it will only run with the start switch held down. If you let off, it will die.

If let sit for a while, it will run for another 4-5 mins and repeat the process...

Oil level is correct, we just changed it and put in a new spark plug.

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated! Good gas will be given for informative answers!

different model, but same problem. Our problem turned out to be the fitting where the fuel filter entered the system. The had had vibrated loose and slopped out the threads. changed the bushing and filter and back on the road. Of course the scary thing is that we were sleeping on top of this bomb when it started this. hope yours is a safe and simple fix as well.

• Like 1

Most likely the control board is bad.

Do a Google search for Onan problems.

There is an aftermarket replacement you can get that is suppose to be better and last longer. I do not have any first hand experence with it. Just what I have read. My generator is doing the same thing. I just hadn't fixed it yet.

Maybe you will get some more opinions on this.

Check this site. http://www.flightsystems.com/Onan_generator_controls/regulators_and_controls.htm

• Like 2

If it has not been started for a while

After I spent $500.00 on a new carburetor,let it sit to long and it varnished up ,the Onnan shop said they need to run 1 hr/mo.:p Have you checked the fuel filter?? It sounds like it's runnning on the fuel in the float bowl,when thats gone ,it's not being replenished. What do I know ,I'm just a carpenter,but hey, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

• Like 1

I'm guessing you know this already but make sure you have over a 1/2 tank of gas in your RV's main gas tank.

I'm guessing you know this already but make sure you have over a 1/2 tank of gas in your RV's main gas tank.

funny...i recently went from a 48' enclosed to a class A garage. they told me this but as I got close on the first weekend i was shocked when my genny quit. mine cut off @ 1/4.

Our 4kw Onan generator in our 1995 Class C Motorhome has been having some strange symptoms lately. Generator has 163 hrs on it.

If it has not been started for a while it will run on its own for 4-5 mins then die.

If you try to start it immeaditaely after it dies, it will only run with the start switch held down. If you let off, it will die.

If let sit for a while, it will run for another 4-5 mins and repeat the process...

Oil level is correct, we just changed it and put in a new spark plug.

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated! Good gas will be given for informative answers!

If it has been sitting for a while, and assuming everything else is normal, I would pull the carb off and pull the bowl. The same thing happened to mine and I thought I needed a new carb or at the least a rebuild kit. So I decided to pull it first, and it was pretty nasty in there. Went through about half a can of carb cleaner, fired right up and has been running like a champ all season! And all it cost was a can of carb cleaner.

163 hours is still new for an Onan, they are made to run. So I would definitely run it. Mine pretty much stays on 24/7 when we're out. Hope this helps.:p

And all it cost was a can of carb cleaner.

Thanks kodiak,rub salt in my wound.:p

you do have to run them...i couldn't agree more! My Onan in the 48' has about 2300 hours on it. We have been running our new one from the time we leave out to head to the races each weekend. Run 'em.

L v is correct. Call Dan at flightsystems and he WILL know how to fix it. Sounds like board. They have a control board that is better than stock. Very esy to replace. 800-403-3728

Heck, Give me your number off your control board and I may have one. I have a 96 Emerald sitting with a good board. Whats your model number? Is it BGEFA....

Before spending the cash on a new controller board make sure that the other more simple issues are at least looked at first. Stuff like fuel supply, carb/filter being dirty, etc. After you know all those are OK then conside the control board.

the Gen I had in my motor home would only run with the start button in and it was the fuel cut solenoid. This solenoid cuts the fuel when it shuts down. I had many people tell me that it was a control board too. remember the K.I.S.S. method. (Keep It Simple Stupid)