Sign in to follow this  

Head Gasket Help Please

This is my first post here, and I could really use some help.

My 04 yz250 is getting coolant in the cylinder. It was running fine this last weekend when it burnt up a piston (i think due to running it to lean). I ordered a new top end kit for it and my CR250, I have never don a head gasket on a Yamaha before but have rebuilt many 2 stokes.

The head gasket there is a set of o-rings. I am pretty sure the inner is not sealing. I keep getting coolant in the cylinder every time I run it. And not just a little.

I have replaced the gasket 3 times the last time I even used some gasket maker to keep it in place/get a better seal and still coolant in the cylinder. Any input would be awesome. :p

check it for flatness...and make sure its not grooved or chipped anywhere.

Base gasket is ok too?

I would have to say find a straight edge (like a machinists straigth edge) and check them, head and cylinder...and if it's not that...then maybe a cracked cylinder (unlikely)

Thanks for the quick reply,

The cylinder is definitely not cracked. I have wet sanded the mating surfaces on the head and cylinder with 1000 grit and they both look ok.

Could a base gasket cause coolant in the cylinder? I will have to pull it and check if so.