Sign in to follow this  

ceramic spray paint for pipe?

How well would ceramic header paint hold up on my two stroke pipe? I sand blasted the pipe and all that stuff. Will it chip easily?

VHT paint at advance auto parts...

works great, a few coats and it won't chip as much.

Yea I think the creamic is made for high temp applications that are not exposed to frequent hits (roost,crashing etc.)

I just did my YZ pipe blue. It finished a dull blue and I haven't installed it because I'm ordering a new 285 piston for it. I did the three step heatup hoping it would have a gloss but it's dull and looks like ....... I'll still go with it for the heck of it. The steps were 200F, 400 and 600 degrees. I have multiple furnaces at work so it wasn't a problem.

Craigus

I used low gloss on my yz250 pipe. Looks the same as stock and holds up as good too

ceramic paints work ok but the trick is that you either have to have the part baked after you spray it(they say within an hour if you read the can). if not it does tend to crack. If you don't mind black, I have used bbq paint. No problems there.

Yeah im just re painting my stock pipe the stock color (flat black). So shouldnt use ceramic header paint? Would like engine enamal be a better choice?

Yeah im just re painting my stock pipe the stock color (flat black). So shouldnt use ceramic header paint? Would like engine enamal be a better choice?

ceramic is fine, i think it holds up better than stock, you dont have to bake it. if it does come off how hard is it to take the pipe off your bike and re paint it?

k what about pipe prep? sand it? sandblast? wipe with alcohol what? i have no idea

I spray painted mine once. It smelled real bad and eventually just came off. Does this ceramic or enamel paint smell or come off? I would like for my pipe to look like it did when it was new if that's possible.

Wouldn't adding all that paint retain heat? I mean, would it get hotter and stuff? Isn't hot bad?

I spray painted mine once. It smelled real bad and eventually just came off. Does this ceramic or enamel paint smell or come off? I would like for my pipe to look like it did when it was new if that's possible.

Wouldn't adding all that paint retain heat? I mean, would it get hotter and stuff? Isn't hot bad?

it doesnt come off except rock chips and what not, no it does not retain heat, why do you think all nascar's and professional racers ceramic coat their headers and pipes?

just did mine today with the paint i asked about earlier in this thread, came out good.I sanded and then painted, hopefully will hold up. March09003.jpg

I just got my 285 running today with the ceramic blue paint and it looks terrible. I'm going to spray gun metal over it and if Auto Zone is still open I might tonight.

Craigus

ran the beast and man o man she stank!!. hopefully the smell will dissipate

what about on a four stroke header? think it will crack? im thinking about doing my yoshi header..