Sign in to follow this  

Trailtech Endurance Speedometer/Odometer

I am getting into enduros and wanted to do it as cheaply as possible. I decided on the Trailtech endurance speedometer, just so I would have some idea of speed and mileage.

Has anyone ran enduros with this unit and if so do you have any tips. I know it is not the best choice but I did not want to spend more money until I do a few...if enduro's end up being as fun as they look I will update to an ICO or Watchdog unit down the road.

I used one for the timekeepers we run here in the NW. Lots of resets and they are a little slow getting that done. Also the numbers are a little small for glancing down on the fly, but they work. I then went to the Lynx by Trailtech and that was better, but in the end, I ended up with an older ICO pro comp and really like that.

Best tip is to mount it where it is easily visible and know backwards and forwards how to change the mileage in a hurry, and you will do OK. Would also recommend finding a metal dash/holder for the unit as they are really flimsy without.

I have used one in a couple of Enduros. The most important tip I can give with any computer is know how to use it inside and out. Also, carry a spare stop watch/ time keeper. Make sure you always have a good idea of your milage and time. Don't burn checks!

Oh yeah, have fun!

Whoop

Paul

Thanks for the tips I will keep those ideas in mind. I agree on learning how to use it...it seems like there is a lot of button pushing combinations to remember how to set and reset different things.

I'm hoping I don't smash the thing, first time out...I won't have any sort of bracket for it before I do the ECEA, Curly Fern in a few weeks.

I had one on my KDX...and yes, the button combos can be a PITA. I never flipped my bike or looped out. Maybe one or two slow get offs...

I took apart the bike to have the frame powdercoated...and that freakin speedo came off in like 6 pieces. I swear...it must have been from the vibrations. I would not buy another one...jMHO.

You might look at the Trail Tech Vector. It has a function for adjusting mileage with a remote switch by the left thumb. It is more conducive to on the fly mileage adjustments that you need for enduros.

I just put one on my bike but haven't purchased the remote yet. I went with this specifically because I wanted the alternative for enduro type adjustments and a lower cost.

I'm about to try my first enduro with one this weekend at sandy lane. I'll let you know how i do with it, i'm just hoping to finish though!

I'm about to try my first enduro with one this weekend at sandy lane. I'll let you know how i do with it, i'm just hoping to finish though!

Good luck and have fun!

Whoop

Paul

i just ordered a vector, but im not doing competitions i just thought it would be good to have as an everyday woods rider

I am using a Endurance and although slightly slow to adjust it works pretty well. Use 2205 as wheel size.

Dwight

Thanks all, it sounds like the Endurance is going work just fine as long as I know how to make the odometer adjustments. I knew the Vector was probably better but as I mentioned I was trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

IAMJOE...I would love to hear how the unti works for you at Sandy Lane.

Wp1

i am doing my first enduro this weekend an almost bought and endurance one but decided against it. i figure if I like riding enduros enough I will get a little better one. so i am riding with no odo/speedo ... ha. going to just key off other riders in my group :)

but for track riding i like the idea of a lap timer with a thumb switch, i think the vector has that

I thought about going no Speedo at all but since I have no clue who I'll be on a line with I thought I would get something so I wouldn't be totally blind on where I'm at and what I'm doing. We'll see.

well i finished, had a great time. to tell you the truth i didnt pay much attention to time keeping being this was my first enduro. the guys on my minute were good guys and were riding a class. so i just did my best to stay with them and not pass them. but i need to adjust my wheel size i think because my miles were way off from theres. it wasn't too hard adjusting miles for the resets in the open trails, but forget it in the single track. i'm going to do a couple more enduros with the trailtech then i might be investing in a better computer.

oh btw all hail e-start.

i just did my first enduro this past weekend (dist 37 Prospectors)

man did it kick my ass but it was so freaking fun.

I got lucky, I haven't even been on my bike since last november since I redone my fork seals (by myself for the first time). So not only not being in riding shape, I didn't know if my bike was in good working shape.... ha

I ended up just using a role chart plus a $5 pep boys digital clock. I just looked at the mileage at all the speed changes and 5 mile markers and if I was behind i sped up and if I was early I slowed down. For the first few checks I just followed the other guys on my minute and used them. After that I just did my best on, after I fell i just went as fast as I could anyway... ha

I did the first loop and zero's the first 3 checks, then dropped a minute on the 4th, and then stalled on an uphill right before the 5th check and lost 6 minutes at that check then couldn't make up any time on the last check (stupid 36mph average)

I was done after that loop and knew it would have been a bad idea to do the 2nd loop so I threw in the towel and chalked it up as experience. I heard the 2nd loop was nasty, so I dont feel bad for wussin out

I am going to do the next enduro in October but this time i will get some riding in and will be in shape. I don't know if I will buy a computer yet though