Sign in to follow this  

Will a DRZ250 satisfy?

I've been riding a WR250 for several years and have a need to get an additional bike that I can trade off ride time with a new son-in-law.

I could get a new '06 WR250, but I've spotted a '05 DRZ250 for about $3k less.

Question is, will I/we be satisfied with the DR? I rode a CRF230 before I got the WR, so I'm thinking the DR is about a half step back to that ride. Which could be OK. If the DR can, at least, sort of keep up, or if it handles good in the woods,... hmmm. With 4 inches lower seat, it ought to feel/be more maneuverable. On the other hand, if I can get the dealer to knock $2k off the WR ... more hmmm.

Any DRZ fans out there?

I had a TT-R 250. The DR-Z is basically a yellow TT-R.

Motorwise it really depends on the terrain. In the tighter going the low end grunt of the DR-Z will actually be an asset vs. the WR 250f. In the open stuff and hillclimbs the WR will obviously slaughter the DR-Z.

In the suspension department the WR will own the DR-Z. You could get the DR-Z suspension close but is that money you want to spend? The only place where I think a DR-Z type bike would have the advantage with the stock suspension would be in terms of comfort riding in really rocky, technical terrain.

Handling: My TT-R and the XR 250R's I've ridden turned on a dime because of their short wheelbases. This makes them less stable at speed though. I expect the DR-Z 250 to be about the same. The air cooled 250 thumpers carry their weight kinda high (more so on the TT-R and DR-Z because of the battery) and that makes side to side transitioning weird feeling.

Brakes: The WR will have better brakes, but the DR-Z probably won't be off by much. The difference in braking performance is probably insignificant for general trail riding.

Comfort: If you're not tall and sit down most of the time you can't beat the big cushy seat on the DR-Z. The cockpit on these bikes is cramped so standing is a chore unless you have tall bars.

Pretty much what the last thread says. The suspension is on the soft side, but very comfortable. Powerwise, it is a nice powerband, with no flat spots. It can be un-corked for a few more ponies. Very good off-road gear ratios. Brakes on my 2006 are as good as the XR400 I sold. Nice features like back-up kickstarter and oil cooler. Also, very reliable with no radiators to crunch. If needed, there are cheap bar riser kits available.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feed back. I'll probably "settle" for the DR. We can switchoff rides and both get a little of both styles. I think that will be a fair trade off for saving $3k.

I had one of those yellow pigs and hated it - it was an 02 - maybe they got better. Top heavy, heavy, handles horribly, throttle response is horrible...about the only thing good I can say about it is I tried to kill and and couldn't. It took a licking and kept on ticking. If you're into lowered expectations, it's the bike for you.

NiceUserName,

I think you had a lemon. You have dissed the DRZ250 many times before on these forums. I have owned 30 motorcycles; 25 of them off-road, and the DRZ does a good job for what it was designed for. It is a TRAIL bike much like the Honda XR250 which has a big following, and the TTR250 which was also very popular. If I remember, you have a TE250 Husky which is certainly lighter with more power but also much more expensive. I have owned 6 Huskys and loved them all but for trail cruising the DRZ fits my needs.

GlennF, glad you like this bike. There's not many of them around and I suppose that says something. Take a look in the DRZ 125/250 forum; lots going on in there. It did not make a good trail bike for me, but I don't weigh much compared to the weight of the bike. Riding quad wide trails and two tracks this bike works okay, more technical single track was very tedious and tiring. The DRZ400 is a much better bike and these can be found for a reasonable price. I wouldn't recommend the 250 for anything more than a buddy bike and that is my opinion and if that comes across and dissing, I'm very sorry. If someone is asking about a given bike they should be prepared to hear both sides, good and bad.

I respect your opinion. I thought you were a little too brutal in your assessment of the bike. A DRZ400 has more than a few pounds more to haul around than the 250, by the way.

I weigh 215 and this bike is a feather compared to my prior ones: a XR400 and an XR600. You did not toss the 600 around. You rode over things rather than around them. Talk about a pig when you dumped it! It was still fun to ride. By the way, the Husky TE310 looks like a good compromise bike. Have you tried one?

I weigh 215 and this bike is a feather compared to my prior ones: a XR400 and an XR600. You did not toss the 600 around. You rode over things rather than around them. Talk about a pig when you dumped it! It was still fun to ride. By the way, the Husky TE310 looks like a good compromise bike. Have you tried one?

The 600 isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be weightwise. Can't beat that torque :p

My 600 was dual sported. Even with a smaller CS sprocket, it could do 90 mph. I agree the torque makes it a lot of fun. It was also a much easier and predictable bike to start than the 400. Can't beat the DRZ E start though!

I've got a man bike (YZ250) and a foo foo dual sport. I had a XT225 earlier and now have the mighty KLR250. The suspension ain't much better than the XT that I had but the engine smokes it. It revs to like 12K RPM, no joke. Lots of top end power and some good grunt down low. The bike is bigger overall so that's why I'm keeping it. What I'm saying is that for a trail bike the DRZ250 will do it but prolly the KLX300 is better but it doesn't have e-start but neither does my KLR so that doesn't matter unless you're riding technical terrain where the opportunity exists to stall it. I don't see why the DRZ wouldn't be a good ride for someone who just wants to have a good time and not necessarily ride a trail on one wheel at a time?? :)

Of course more race oriented machines will be more fun but it's not like the DRZ won't make it most places. I have seen KLR650s go places other mortals wouldn't try on their KTM EXC's. Were they more tired due to the weight? Were they able to go as fast? Did they crash due to the bike's limitations? Did they have fun?

and the DRZ does a good job for what it was designed for. It is a TRAIL bike much like the Honda XR250 which has a big following, and the TTR250 which was also very popular. .

I would never buy an XR250 due to it just being so shrimpy small to me AND the fact that if not absolutely tip top jetted to perfection the damn things WILL NOT start when cold or after a crash. They are the poster child for e-start on a 4 stroke. My KLR250 with a kicker starts nearly as easily as my two stroke and the KLX300 is the same way. The XR250 kick start mechanism, carburetion, and compression release is a piss poor design that never evolved past 1996 even though Kawasaki produced their KLX at that time with a superior setup the Honda failed to follow. My ultra-old Skool design KLR which came out in 1985 has a superior kick start operation compared to the Honda XR250. :banghead:

Well, now that I've paid for it, and ridden it (very little), I'm kinda regretting it. I probably just need more ride time before I will feel better about it.

It isn't as responsive as I hoped. I'd read a lot of owner comments and I had the impression this thing would rip pretty good. But, I am comparing it to a real performance machine, in the WR.

So, I'll give it some time, maybe weeks for the weather to cooperate, and explore more about improving performance. Maybe when I get to spend some hours on it, I'll change my opinion. Right now, I wish I'd waited for another WR to fall into my price range. Oh well, I can always trade it.

Is the bike totally stock? There are cheap mods you can do. Go up in pilot and main jet sizes (tell me if you have the 28mm 49 state carb or the 32mm Calif. carb and I can give you some jet sizes) Grind out the header welds where the headpipe flange joins the pipe, open up the top of the airbox and remove the snorkel and add some openings. You can take a hole saw and open up the spark arrestor tip, or there is a neat replacement tip available for about $45.00 from 2RRacing. It is never going to be a WR, but you can make it a lot better.

Is the bike totally stock? There are cheap mods you can do. Go up in pilot and main jet sizes (tell me if you have the 28mm 49 state carb or the 32mm Calif. carb and I can give you some jet sizes) Grind out the header welds where the headpipe flange joins the pipe, open up the top of the airbox and remove the snorkel and add some openings. You can take a hole saw and open up the spark arrestor tip, or there is a neat replacement tip available for about $45.00 from 2RRacing. It is never going to be a WR, but you can make it a lot better.

What he said. Focus on dialing both your pilot jet and fuel screw. FREE!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327405

I can only guess that, yes, the bike is totally stock. Somebody has made attempts to tweak the bike, but only slightly. The silencer is gone off the tail pipe. I checked the pilot screw, it was 3+ turns. I counted going in, then backed out to 2.75 . It had the classic hanging idle, which may have improved after I reset. I really don't want to get into jet and needle settings, but if there's a significant improvement to be gained, I'm sure I can find time in the next few weeks. I did manage a decent sized hole in the top of the airbox to get more air in there.

There's an Intel module that lays on top of the airbox, so it kinda limits the size of hole I could make.

I can only guess that, yes, the bike is totally stock. Somebody has made attempts to tweak the bike, but only slightly. The silencer is gone off the tail pipe. I checked the pilot screw, it was 3+ turns. I counted going in, then backed out to 2.75 . It had the classic hanging idle, which may have improved after I reset. I really don't want to get into jet and needle settings, but if there's a significant improvement to be gained, I'm sure I can find time in the next few weeks. I did manage a decent sized hole in the top of the airbox to get more air in there.

There's an Intel module that lays on top of the airbox, so it kinda limits the size of hole I could make.

Try the mods Glenn suggested and a JD jet kit if you're desperate and don't want to futz with the stock jetting settings. If it still sucks, NUN prolly wants to buy it then.:)

Trail bikes are absolutely clogged up by the factories to comply with US EPA emission standards. Even the WR is clogged when new.

• Like 1