Sign in to follow this  

What's in your weekend tool kit?

So, I've seen all the threads about "What do you ride with on trails", "what do you take with you?" and so on, but I haven't seen too much on just tools.

I've got my full set at the shop but am putting together a smaller set, along with spare fluids and the like, to keep in my truck box for trail side repairs and weekend trip maintenance.

So far, I have what I would consider basics, and they all fit in a medium size tool bag (fluids not included, of course):

Metric sockets, ratchet and torque wrench

Metric and standard end wrenches

Multi-tip screw driver, and a few other regular ones

"Good" (sacrificial) screwdrivers

Hex keys

Multimeter

Hammer

Zip-ties

Pliers (vise-grips, channel locks, needle nose)

Mulit-tool

Flashlight

Gloves

Black tape

A couple of old bicycle inner tubes (I've found more uses for these that I can tell you)

Locktite

Utility knife

and a few other odds and ends.

I can already think of a few more things I need (tire levers, etc.), any additional recommendations or ideas would be great. I love tools :p I can't help it.

Got any pics of your toy hauler/truck box tool kit?

Zip-tyes

Metric and SAE socket sets

1/4 drive t handle wrench

3/8 drive ratchet

1/4 drive ratchet

electrical tape

extra levers

Spark plug wrench

Compression tester

flashlight

Spring puller

Paper towels

Spark plugs

SAE box end wrenches

metric box end wrenches

Screw driver w/ multiple heads

Gearbox oil

Premix oil

I think thats about it.

anything and evarything. lol. when we first started riding we pretty much went through the garage and found eavry tool we might need. and we got it all together now so it only takes about 15 min to get it all out and ready since its all bagged up

Here's a few things I take, I ziptie my tire irons to my sub-frame. Watch in HD.

miscbikepics001.jpg

Here's a few things I take, I ziptie my tire irons to my sub-frame. Watch in HD.

miscbikepics001.jpg

Nice set up. :p Do you haul all that with you or just keep it in the truck?

anything and evarything. lol. when we first started riding we pretty much went through the garage and found eavry tool we might need. and we got it all together now so it only takes about 15 min to get it all out and ready since its all bagged up

LOL. The "anything and everything" is my problem. I'm trying to keep myself from buying a COMPLETE second set of tools to keep in the truck. Sometimes, I go a little overboard and deplete the shop of vital components:banghead: .

The best solution is probably to buy a 20' enclosed trailer and just make the shop portable...Of course, 2 days after that purchase, I'll want a 30 footer so that I can put a generator, compressor, welder, fridge and toilet in there as well. When does it ever end?

The best solution is probably to buy a 20' enclosed trailer and just make the shop portable...Of course, 2 days after that purchase, I'll want a 30 footer so that I can put a generator, compressor, welder, fridge and toilet in there as well.

LOL I agree I just bought a 24' V-Nose and am setting it up as a portable shop for racing and am duplicating a lot of my home shop tooling in it.

And to pull this I am rebuilding a 38' Class A motorhome to replace the 27' class C we are now trying to sell (SHameless plug there):p

I try to take the basics if im going some where local but when riding somewhere new out of state where ever I try to take just about everything which is a pain. but rather be prepared then to have a short ride cause I couldnt fix the bike

i have a 6 in one screw driver pro motion tool asst. allen head bits( i tried to convert most of my bolts to allen heads, its lighter to carry allens than wrenches). o good knife. wrapped black tape around the screw drivers, 20or so zip ties, axle wrenchs, spare rear tube, master link , spare jets, and a multi tool a 10-12-13 mm wrench thats what i care on me for every trail ride. i have a full tool box full in the truck for everything except interior engine and suspension parts. if those break my weekend is over anyway

zip ties

multi-tool

tire irons

small adjustable wrench

small first aid kit

assorted hex wrench kit

small socket kit

Spark plug socket

I also take along friends with better tool kits!:p

zip ties

Assorted Screwdrivers flat and phillips

Adjustable wrenches big and small

Needle nose and reg. plyers and wire cutters

1/4'' socket set w/ spark plug socket

first aid kit

LED flashlight

old set of mechanix gloves

wd-40, plastic renew, tide/water solution

extra levers

a few hex keys

8-14mm wrenches

some loctite and hitemp silicone

all good stuff. I would add a small piece of 35mm film negative, for cleaning a leaking fork seals and small piece of 1000 grit sand paper for cleaning spark plug tips