Sign in to follow this  

How bent is too bent?

Hey guys,

I have an '07 RM-Z250 and both my rims are slightly bent. When I spin them fast I can see them wobble. Will truing the rims straighten them? How normal is it for rims to be slightly bent?

Thanks

:p

Up and down wobble or side to side wobble? Are there visible dents in the rims?

If they aren't dented, a good truing will do wonders for a wheel. You'd be amazed at what someone experienced in wheel truing can do with a wobbly wheel. Either way, try it. Truing is cheaper than a new wheel...which might need to be trued anyway.

Definitely True it!

I had the same problem with my front and back wheels. My dad sat down and did it for fun haha. Only time he has ever worked on my bike. They are perfect now. Also, check the bead of your tires. That might be it too

my advice is to read how to true yourself. It's a great skill to know. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get it true fast othertimes it's harder. This wheel I'm putting together I can't get it perfect but it's close to perfect but that doesn't cut it for me so the local shop offered to finish it up for $25 :p

Try it yourself and see how close you can get. It will be cheaper to finish if you give up than a loose lace wheel

This wheel I'm putting together I can't get it perfect but it's close to perfect but that doesn't cut it for me

why does it need to be perfect? mine (no ones?) are perfectly straight, especially after a good day of riding. im not saying we all have extreme wobbly or bent rims, but im willing to bet 75% or more are not "perfect".

I was always taught that rims are never perfect. mine sure as hell aernt perfect but you dont even notice it when riding. hitting big rocks and landing kinda sideways and stuff will always bend them a tiny tiny bit. right?

why does it need to be perfect? mine (no ones?) are perfectly straight, especially after a good day of riding. im not saying we all have extreme wobbly or bent rims, but im willing to bet 75% or more are not "perfect".

I was always taught that rims are never perfect. mine sure as hell aernt perfect but you dont even notice it when riding. hitting big rocks and landing kinda sideways and stuff will always bend them a tiny tiny bit. right?

haha.....fail

It seems that the consensus is to true the rims and as shelbycobra stated to learn to true them. Plus, rims are pretty dynamic so learning to true properly sounds like a good option. Like the old biblical proverb: you can give a man a fish and he's fed for one meal; teach a man to fish and he's fed for a lifetime.

Thanks everybody!

Happy riding!

D6!:p

you can give a man a fish and he's fed for one meal; teach a man to fish and he's fed for a lifetime.[/url]

give a man fire and hes warm for a night. light a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life :p

like when parachuting from an airplane... if you jump and your parachute screws up at 100,000 feet you have the rest of your life to fix it!

Well, if its not perfect in the first place it'll end up worse down the line..

What do y'all use for a truing stand?

Well, if its not perfect in the first place it'll end up worse down the line..

not necessarily true. I downhill mountain biked for 5 years, my bikes rims were never perfect. they never got worse though. you either "taco" the rims, or their ridable.

same with my dirtbike. theyre not 100% perfect. maybe 90-95%, and they will not get worse. ive seen bikes, friends who have had bikes for 10 years and never trued their rims.

it all depends on what you mean by "perfect" and what you mean by "bent". my front wobbles maybe 1/8 of an inch. the back is surprisingly pretty close, about 1/16th of an inch wobble at the worst.