Sign in to follow this  

2008 450 xcrw now using oil

Up to this point the bike has been flawless.

I went for a 50 mile ride yesterday and noticed the bike used about 90-100 cc's of oil. I checked the transmission and it was at the correct oil.

I'm not sure where the oil went. I don't think it was smoking, I'll have to ask my riding buddy if he noticed it was smoking.

The trail conditions were tougher yesterday than what I normally do. I did the Troll Trail at Hollister for about an hour and I can tell it was running hot, although it never spit coolant, I could smell it. It's very tight single track on a side of a hill, so I never got over 5 mph.

After that, I did some high speed riding on a TT track, reving it pretty high and shutting it down to brake for the corners.

I've read that running at high rpm can cause enough vaccum to suck oil out of the engine vent where it can be burned because it is tee'd into the carb. Dirt Rider recommends pluging the carb and re-routing a breather into the air box.

Either that or engine oil is hiding someplace in the engine. It's not leaking anywhere either.

Anybody experience this?

Typo: I meant to say the transmission oil level was at the correct level. I don't think it's an oil transfer problem.

There is a post on it at KTM Talk. I believe some of the oil vents out of the crankcase down the hose into the carb where it is burned. Some have ideas on how to minimize it.

I went riding again and this time it did not use oil. The difference this time is I did the normal trails I usually do (not the Troll Trail).

The Troll Trail is first gear, steep up and down sections. The bike boiled over a couple of times.

I'm convinced it has something to do with the bike getting hot and using oil. Im leaning towards the idea that oil gets hot and vaporizes and then is sucked into the carburator. I'm going to re-route my vent lines.