Title service

This is a followup to my thread on getting a title for a 1974 bike.

I used International Title Service in Nevada it took about a week and a half to get the paperwork back. The reg. was issued in AL. where they don't require a title untill 75. Took the paper work to my local DMV (I am in NY) and within a 1/2 hr. I walked out with a reg. and plate in my hand!?

The only down side is that NYS has a $50 fee for getting a new title.

Paul

This is a followup to my thread on getting a title for a 1974 bike.

I used International Title Service in Nevada it took about a week and a half to get the paperwork back. The reg. was issued in AL. where they don't require a title untill 75. Took the paper work to my local DMV (I am in NY) and within a 1/2 hr. I walked out with a reg. and plate in my hand!?

The only down side is that NYS has a $50 fee for getting a new title.

Paul

Congrdualtions! Title issues can be a pain for many, always nice to hear of a success story.

I wish there was some way to do it for the newer than 75 bikes.

I see a good bit of "found this is my grand-dad's stuff, but we couldn't find a title" type stories I'd love to check out, w/o a title though it's worthless to me.

Now the estate auction people, most of them are clueless and looking to turn a fast buck.

Good job, that's exactly how it works. Quick and painless, generally...

HOWEVER, some states are flat-out refusing to honor some of the paperwork coming from these kinds of companies (there are several out there that do the same thing, and some of them use other states, GA, NV, etc. and some have different (later) years for cut-off).

I've read on other vintage forums horror stories from folks that have used this same (or the other) companies and their states refuse to accept the paperwork.

It's worth a casual inquiry in your own DMV, but don't get me started on DMV types generally... ?

In CT no title is required to register pre-'81 bikes, just a bill of sale. I managed to register my CR and MR this way, and if my RM was an '80 I would surely have done that one too. They inspected the frame VIN number to make sure it matched the one I had written on the application, but that's it.

The bills of sale were nothing fancy, either - like something you'd get at a tag sale.

This has made it possible for me to easily ride every day, weather permitting - absolutely the best addition I've ever made to any of my bikes. And all because of a suggestion by a friendly cop...

Ray

In CT no title is required to register pre-'81 bikes, just a bill of sale. I managed to register my CR and MR this way, and if my RM was an '80 I would surely have done that one too. They inspected the frame VIN number to make sure it matched the one I had written on the application, but that's it.

The bills of sale were nothing fancy, either - like something you'd get at a tag sale.

This has made it possible for me to easily ride every day, weather permitting - absolutely the best addition I've ever made to any of my bikes. And all because of a suggestion by a friendly cop...

Ray

Good job with that, too, however, I think you got lucky with CT. Most states have a list of bikes that were and/or were NOT street legal when they were manufactured, and they WILL NOT let you register them, dual-sport conversions or no... Lots of the western states are this way, I'm told.

I have used Broadway Title Co. Sent them some $$$ and got a bill of sale from a car dealer in Maine. Maine will not title a vehicle over 15 yrs. old.Took it in & walked out with all the legal paperwork (Illinois). Sounds sorta fishy but it worked.

• Like 1

Take a look at their site they can do trailers, mobile homes and post 74 bikes

but at a higher cost. My 74 was $85. I have a 81 that I plan on trying if I can't get the title from the guy that gave me the bike.

In NY I have been able to get 73 and older bikes reg. by telling DMV that the bike was left in my garage 10+ years ago by a renter and now I want to regester the bike so I can sell it. They give me the evil eye but it has worked more than once. I get a nontransferable reg. while they run the numbers and get a transferable reg. a few weeks latter. This works because NY purges its data base after 5yrs. if the bike has not been regestered, it will not work if the bike is hot as vin. # will show up as stolen.

Paul

I go thru this trouble because I like to keep the old bikes on the road, if and when I have to sell my collection they will be worth more with the paperwork.

I hope to keep riding into my 70's (I just turned 50 in Feb.)

Nice. I plan to keep riding until something kills me. I'm only 31 though.

So, if I shoot you a VIN, title fees and some cash for your trouble, would you get me a title for a 91 dirt bike? Probably wouldn't work for an 06 because I don't think the DMV will believe you've been sitting on it for 10 years.