clutch problems 07 250xcfw

Just bought my son a used KTM 07 250xcfw....he loves the bike but it has a couple of issues. The bike won't start in gear ( with clutch engaged). Also, when it is cold it tends to stall when taking off in first gear unless you rev it up.

Any suggestions...thanks

Make sure they re-jetted it, they are very lean stock, both the pilot jet and main jet need changed as well as the needle.

My 08 has a rough time starting in gear also, I guess thats the nature of them.

Good Luck

thanks for the info...any idea what a KTM dealer would charge to re-jet? Can you kick or electric start yours when it is in gear? Mine just jumps forward like the clutch is not engaging...Otherwise, once it gets going it shifts fine.

My 2008 250 XC-F, just when you start it cold, also does that. It will jump forward and stall if you try to put it in gear before it warms up. Once warmed up it all works just fine, and it also starts in gear easily. Maybe it's not a jetting issue it's just that it needs to warm-up.

If you need to rejet, I have read that JD makes good jetting kits that solve most issues.

Clutch drag is common on these bikes. Mine was horrible when I first got it, had 40 hours. Changed to Amsoil 4-stroke synthetic as I have used it before and it has fixed the prob. There's just a hint of drag when cold, but much better than before. I'm running 10-40 'till summer, then maybe go to the 20-50 (or maybe not.? )