Sign in to follow this  

Mods for crf 70

Last year I bought my son a crf 70 after a season of riding I think he needs a little more get up and go! I would prefer to do any mods to bike because I would like him to get good at handling more power before getting him a larger bike. I am curious if there are any mods or best ways to make the 70 go a quicker? Any input would be greatly appreciated as my son is already wanting to get it out to the trail/track!

For my sons 2002 XR70 I concentrated on suspension and engine mods at the same time. Many TT users have had great success with the common 88cc kits from BBR, Trail Bikes, Classic Honda, etc.. I went with a Powroll big bore piston and then had them stroke my stock crank for a total of 100cc. With their carb kit and cam this thing rips!

For the suspension I installed the BBR damper rod kit that adds about an inch of travel to the forks with better control. I used their HD fork springs as well. To raise the rear suspension we went the budget route of adding an extender to the stock shock along with a HD spring. These mods really improved the suspension action. We then added a better rear tire to get a true knobby.

Unfortunately, after these mods the bike has way too much invested to ever get a return on it (so we probably won't ever sell the bike). After this experience I would recommend keeping the bike close to stock and when the rider gets more experience step up to a KTM mini, CRF150R or something like it.

Good Luck!

You say that you added an "extender" to the stock rear shock. Did you make a custom piece to do this or is an extender available in the aftermarket? If so--where did you get it?

I found a billet aluminum extender on eBay that replaces the top mount - I honestly don't know if they are still available but they may be. Installation requires disassembly of the shock which will allow the installation of a different spring.