Sign in to follow this  

2000-2004 CR, YZ, KX or RM125

I'm looking for a 125 2t play with, maybe enter in the 125cc 2 stroke class at my track. I have 2 250's now so this will mainly be a "toy". I never owned a 125, just rode a few and like the nimbleness of them. just can't decide on a brand. I heard the YZ's have great engines and the RM's and CR's have good suspension and handling. I'm a Kawi guy but never rode a KX125, and would actually like to mix up my stable a bit.

I have my eye on a couple YZ's around 2002, I also have a lead on a super clean 03/04 CR125. I ride both MX and woods and will use the 125 probobly for both. Any opinions?

With a 125 smoker, you can't really go wrong with any brand. I have always heard that the rm's and yz's are the top 2 though. I would just find the newest, best condition 125 2t possible in your price range.

the rm has the most "kick" in terms of power band and a little less down low. The yz has the most low end, and a little less hit, and I've heard that the cr is a little weak in the motor department, i can't speak for the kx though.

don't rule out the rm for trail riding because of its lack of low end, i trail ride mine and i love it.

The CR's motor responds to a JD jet kit and +2/3 on the rear sprocket. Their handling and suspension are good - get an '05 or up on that model. Yes, the YZ is a great 125 - shoot for an 06 or higher cause that's the one with the great forks. Their engine got all new and perfect in 2005.

Twostrokenut don't like KX125s. eBeck liked his RM125 as did the nut. If you're not racing a 125 with the intention to take first place each and every time - any of them will work great. Of course buy it based on condition relative to price, extras, goodies, and maybe even suspension mods that work for you.

Oops..... :) I see that you want a 04 or older. I'd say YZ or RM then with a nod towards the Zuk if going with an 04 - that's a split hair difference though.