Sign in to follow this  

few random questions about a 02 cr250r

1. how much oil goes into the case? and I hope this doesnt start a huge fight.. but exactly what oil do I put in it? I have been told 10w 40, 20w-50, 80wt special tranny oil, motorcycle only oil, everything. I wanna know once and for all what will work. can I use the same oil that I put in my 4 stroke, just normal car (rotella t, castrol gtx, pennzoil) 10w30 or 10w40 oil?

or better yet, is there any oils that I should NOT put in the tranny or a 2 stroke? I dont race. dont ride that hard, only ride in the trails/forestry.

2. are all fork seals the same size? I ordered 3 sets of same sized fork seals and I am hoping that they will fit on a 05 crf 450r, 02 cr250r, and 05 yz250.

thanks.

1. how much oil goes into the case? and I hope this doesnt start a huge fight.. but exactly what oil do I put in it? I have been told 10w 40, 20w-50, 80wt special tranny oil, motorcycle only oil, everything. I wanna know once and for all what will work. can I use the same oil that I put in my 4 stroke, just normal car (rotella t, castrol gtx, pennzoil) 10w30 or 10w40 oil?

or better yet, is there any oils that I should NOT put in the tranny or a 2 stroke? I dont race. dont ride that hard, only ride in the trails/forestry.

2. are all fork seals the same size? I ordered 3 sets of same sized fork seals and I am hoping that they will fit on a 05 crf 450r, 02 cr250r, and 05 yz250.

thanks.

1. Capacity is 22 oz, there is a check bolt by the right side of clutch cover. You can use the 10w-40 rotella. Only oil you don't want to use is oil rated energy conserving, it will have a seal on the back saying so.

2. Not all forks are the same size. I believe the yz will have bigger forks than the CR, but I'm not sure where the crf fits in. Just buy the specific seals for each bike.

1. Capacity is 22 oz, there is a check bolt by the right side of clutch cover. You can use the 10w-40 rotella. Only oil you don't want to use is oil rated energy conserving, it will have a seal on the back saying so.

2. Not all forks are the same size. I believe the yz will have bigger forks than the CR, but I'm not sure where the crf fits in. Just buy the specific seals for each bike.

1. ok cool. thanks man.

2. crap!!!! sure hope not! I hope at least some fit, what am I gonna do with 3 sets of fork seals?!

thanks.

If you run OEM fork seals they generally don't fail very often. 5+ years on a set of seal is reasonable. If they leak within that time, it's because of dirt and using a piece of film plastic to clean the seals usually corrects this problem.

yes they are OEM fork seals.

in both bikes they are completely blown. one rider is 300+ lbs so... were getting him heavier fork springs, heavier/more fork oil, and new seals. all the seals are pouring oil. leave it overnight and theres a 1/2 cup puddle under the front tire.