Sign in to follow this  

New CRF100 owner Pipe and valve questions

Greetings all. I have been lurking around the forums gathering info on various bikes, and finally settled on a CRF100 for the wife. She is a new rider and I think it will be prefect for her to learn on. Anyways, the bike we bought is an 06, and it has a couple issues I want to address before we ride it full time.

The first thing is the muffler. The previous owner removed the baffle, and I wonder if it will effect jetting enough to worry about?

The engine also has a ticking to it that I hope a valve adjustment will fix. Is a top end tick usually indicative of serious probs on these bikes? I hope not since I already bought it :ride:

FWIW, the bike runs great. Starts on the first or second kick, idles great, pulls great, doesnt smoke or leak etc. Seems healthy, just a little noisy, both exhaust and valvetrain.

Oh, and a service manual is on the list for sure.

Almost forgot. It needs brakes too. how hard is it to do brakes on these things?

Thanks all! Great forum :p

Get the manual for sure. Adjust the valves and also the timing chain tensioner. It will all be shown in the book.

The brakes last forever usually. Open them up and lube the pivots and dress the drums and pads with some sand paper clean the pads and drum with brake cleaner and reinstall. Squeze the brake handle down tight and hold it as you tighten the axle nut. This will center the drum and give even pressure on the pads.

Ok, if possible, I would love some help with a couple things. The first is the cam chain tension. I found a great writeup on adjusting the valves, but nothing for the proper tensioning of the cam chain. I know my manual wont come in before next week, so if possible, can someone tell me how to properly tension the cam chain?

This weekend I plan to do brakes, adjust valves/cam chain, and change the oil. I also ordered a new exhaust to replace the gutted one, and a new side cover to replace the broken one on it now.

Thanks again all!

Small update... Tonight I changed the oil, adjusted the valves and the cam chain, and cleaned the filter. I adjusted the cam chain till I got a mild whine, and then backed it off slowly till it had no whine or slap. The noise is gone, and the thing runs like a top.

Tomorrow I do brakes, and take a few links out of the new chain. The rear axle is all the way out on adjustment. Man these things are super easy to work on!

I would also check your suspension linkages. They only have bushing and can really rust out if the run out of grease and get water in them. Use Belray waterproof grease. Buy a uni filter. Cam.