Sign in to follow this  

xr650l wont starr

daves carb mods completed.(stock jets) new ones one the way.

i have spark getting fuel to the motor can smell it in the exhaust.cleaned pilot and main jets.just turns over fire yesterday but back fire before it started HEEEEEEELLLLPPPPPPPPP:banghead: :p:ride::moon: :moon: :lol::p:banana: :banana: :foul: :foul: :bonk::mad::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

XR650L hard to start?

Pull the Carb boot away from the carb,

spray Ether/Starting fluid,

if it starts

Carb problem.

It not Electrical.

Try pushing the on/off switch several times and really make sure it is fully on... The one at the starter button. They get crappy after a while and need dis-assembly, a little emory cloth to the contacts and some electrical grease... I hope this helps!

You can remove the air filter and spray the fluid with the throttle open without taking the boot loose as well....

Make sure the little plastic keeper is in the right spot in the bowl as well...

with all that new air you've introduced your mixture maybe a bit lean now. Wait till your new jets come, hook the carb up right, and you'll be good to go.

with all that new air you've introduced your mixture maybe a bit lean now. Wait till your new jets come, hook the carb up right, and you'll be good to go.

Ditto. You added air, now you need to get the right amount of fuel in. Sounds like lean backfiring.

Try cranking it over with the Run switch in the off position. After 10 seconds switch it on. Will allow the cylinder to prime up a bit. Works on the really cold days here.

I know this may sound stupid but make sure you are getting enough gas. May I suggest for the time being that you switch the petcock lever to Reserve before cranking it over.

I've had the same problem by assuming there was enough gas in the tank only to find that the level was just a hair below the "ON" position of the pick-up tube.

Look close at your carb and make sure it is FULLY on the boot-motor side. Mine looked like it was on, but ended up not. After an hour of checking EVERYTHING I found this problem. Slipped it back on and started instantly. It may be you are running lean(probably) if modded. Mine was pro tuned before I bought it but backfired when it was cold creating air leaking by the boot. One other guy on here had the same problem as me. After his backfire his would not start either. Check the obvious, but you will need jets if you changed the carb setup or anything else usually. Don't run it lean for long as it will run hot and possibly damage internals.

Lean sucks!!!

IMG_0547.jpg

Ouch!! I feel your pain, however, even though the pistons I grenaded were in a turbo'd 5.0. Yes, lean sucks!

I know the efects of running lean,I am trying to troubleshoot starting isues not for random BS

I know the efects of running lean,I am trying to troubleshoot starting isues not for random BS

Damn, dude, every time someone posts a comment, whether you consider it relevant or not, it bumps your thread back to the top of the list. Be grateful!

Someone could have just said to you "Do a search" when you posted your question.

BTW (that means 'By The Way', BTW) you have not said if you have tried some of the suggestions here, and have not clarified the bike's behavior.

Ya gotta do your part to get help.

Dave

Yeah please elaborate. What build specs, year, carb. We are only trying to prevent YOU and OTHERS from making the same mistakes as some of us. Dave himself is a great help. I myself melted a nitro fed motor-oops.

Try using the "choke" circuit to add fuel to your motor. It should make up the difference enough to START. If it doesn't perhaps you reassembled the carb incorrectly.

Last case, any motor will start, if not for a second if you put some gas in the spark plug hole as long as you have spark. If it does fire, you have issues with fuel delivery-carb. I still say look close at your boot. The carbs after back fire come off enough not to start.......good luck.

Sounds to me like it's close to starting..when my bb sits for a while it takes a little to catch.When it does it somtimes it backfores just before firing.Try cranking the throttle wide open while turning it over.If it loads up with fuel Stop. Dont use starting fluids like either..thats just too dangerous.How strong is your battery? try hooking up a 1 amp charger overnight to give it the extra boost in juice it may need. Im no professional but just telling you what has worked for me.Is it cold there? These pigs dont like to start in the cold.Try heating up your garage with the bike in it if it is cold

These pigs dont like to start in the cold.

Not to be a smart#ss, but any bike will start easily if the jets are correct. He just needs to get the right jets and install them. Like already posted he opened all the airways but hasn't richened the fuel circuit yet. It is going to be even leaner then the already stock lean condition. Buy some larger jets and have at it. You are halfway done with Dave's Mod. Finish it up and ride.

Not to be a smart#ss, but any bike will start easily if the jets are correct. He just needs to get the right jets and install them. Like already posted he opened all the airways but hasn't richened the fuel circuit yet. It is going to be even leaner then the already stock lean condition. Buy some larger jets and have at it. You are halfway done with Dave's Mod. Finish it up and ride.

Not in the dead of winter here in Ontario Canada..Bring your bike here leave it for a week in my garage and if fires right away ill gladly eat my shorts!!

Not in the dead of winter here in Ontario Canada..Bring your bike here leave it for a week in my garage and if fires right away ill gladly eat my shorts!!

Alright I believe that. Last time I was up that way it was too damn cold. The coldest I have ever tried starting any bike was at 10F.

Sounds to me like it's close to starting..when my bb sits for a while it takes a little to catch.When it does it somtimes it backfores just before firing.Try cranking the throttle wide open while turning it over.If it loads up with fuel Stop. Dont use starting fluids like either..thats just too dangerous.How strong is your battery? try hooking up a 1 amp charger overnight to give it the extra boost in juice it may need. Im no professional but just telling you what has worked for me.Is it cold there? These pigs dont like to start in the cold.Try heating up your garage with the bike in it if it is cold

If they are running any ethanol in the gas, even after a few days my pig is hard to start cold, jetted just right.

With the ethanol I find it very helpful to drain the bowl before turning the gas on, then turning the gas on, let a little fresh dribble, then close the drain.

Dave

If they are running any ethanol in the gas, even after a few days my pig is hard to start cold, jetted just right.

With the ethanol I find it very helpful to drain the bowl before turning the gas on, then turning the gas on, let a little fresh dribble, then close the drain.

Dave

I had this problem and talked to a motorcycle mechanic and he recommended using the Marine Sta-Bil. It is designed to counteract the negative effects of storing ethanol blended gasoline. So far all my motorcycles and small engines have started up with no problems after storage with the treated gas. 2 and 4 stroke. I will continue to use it as my riding schedule can get sporadic at times with weeks between rides.