Sign in to follow this  

Any ill effects with 16t front on XR650R

Hey all. I have run 13/50 and 14/48 for offroad (woods trails) and have used 15/45 for dual sporting and gravel/fire roads BUT I found I needed 108 link chain for the 15/45 combo and if I use 16/48 I get the same ratio with only having to swap the front sprocket and same chain length...all positives in my book. I didn't see 16/48 combo around and actually didn't find much about the 16t front on the XR650R so just wondering if there are negatives I may be overlooking that may be obvious to others?

The only thing I see is the xrs only 15t case saver fits but rubs so it NEEDS to be ground to fit but it looks too thin so I'm not going to...I'm just going to go take my chances for casual commuting.

The wheel has to be as far forward as possible for it to work but I believe this is a good thing?

Anyone with 16t on XR650R experience?

Thanks

JT

I run the 16T with a slightly ground down stock case saver. Everything works great.

You might even see a lower rate of wear on the front sprocket and chain. The chain will not need to bend so much.

I run the 16T with a slightly ground down stock case saver. Everything works great.

You might even see a lower rate of wear on the front sprocket and chain. The chain will not need to bend so much.

They all sound like positives to me

What rear sprocket are you using? curious how 16/45 would do on the street. (But would defeat the purpose of only having to swap the front for off road use!)

I have run 16/44 on the street with a 130/90-18 D606 and that is some TALL gearing. 60mph cruise is 4th gear. The math says that 5th will top out beyond 130.

I have a heavily modified 650R and it has no problem pulling those gears up to about 110 and then I run out of nerve.