Sign in to follow this  

Maintenance Routine

I just bought my first motorcycle and need to know exactly what I need to do for maintenance. It's a 2005 YZ250F. What will I need to do for each ride and other times throughout the year? I plan to ride in the hills and fields near my house most of the time. I will also go to the desert about an hour from my house several times a year.

What do I need to have on hand to perform the maintenance it requires?

Every Ride:

Clean bike

Clean and grease the air filter

Check spokes

Bleed the shocks

Check tire pressure

Check coolant

Lube chain and check slack

Every 6 Hours:

Change oil and filter

Every Season:

Change spark plug

Replace coolant

Supplies

Oil

Grease

In dusty conditions, clean the air filter after every ride and grease the sealing surface so it seals good, some people change oil then too. Most of the time the oil will go 5-6 hours of run-time. Change oil often since it cheaper than an engine rebuild. In wet riding conditions, you might want to use some duct tape and partly cover the lower flap in the airbox to keep water and mud from coming into the airbox. I pop rivited a piece of innertube over mine so water can get out but not a lot of air gets in there. Usually in damp conditons the dust is minimal. Check your air filter and see if its a TwinAir or other dual element filter. If so, that's better. If not, consider adding a Flow filter on top of the stock filter to create a dual element filter. Read the manual, there's alot of good tips in there. Lube all bearing and Grease all threads. Make sure your Hot Start is screwed in and not sucking in dirt. Check your brake pads, they deliver great performance but wear quickly. It probably would not hurt to check the cam chain for wear too. They are cheap ($17.00) and easly replaced by an experienced mechanic friend. Have fun, you got a great bike.

I'm adding things to the list in the first post. What else?

I was told to check the spokes to make sure they are tight. I figure that i will need a spoke wrench. What sizes will I need?

I'm adding things to the list in the first post. What else?

I was told to check the spokes to make sure they are tight. I figure that i will need a spoke wrench. What sizes will I need?

check your chain every ride

valves every oil change

clean your fork seals with playing cards or film every time they leak

tire pressure every ride

drain your carb when ever you plan on storing your bike longer than a few weeks

make sure all your axles and shock linkage are greased, along with your steering head

Blue print the bike after every ride :p

j/k Go to www.thumperfaq.com and read up. Also do a search, this topic has been covered sooooo many times!

valves every oil change

tire pressure every ride

make sure all your axles and shock linkage are greased, along with your steering head

What am I checking for, damage, stretching?

valves every oil change

Is this something I should be trying with no experience?

Can you give me more detail please? Also, I was told to bleed air from the front shocks after every ride. How is that done?

tire pressure every ride

Do I do that by running the engine with the gas shut off?

for the chain, you just make sure you have enough slack or free play

for the valves, you pull the valve cover off and stick thin pieces of metal that tell you the clearance, and make sure the clearance is in spec. easy to do

your forks have seals, where the rod goes in. sometimes they get dirt in them and leak oil. to bleed the air off the fork, you unscrew the little tiny screws on top of the fork and it will release the air

there should be a screw on your carb that releases the fuel out of the bowl. if you run the bike out of gas, it will start to run too lean before it run's out of gas

What am I checking for, damage, stretching?

valves every oil change

Is this something I should be trying with no experience?

Can you give me more detail please? Also, I was told to bleed air from the front shocks after every ride. How is that done?

tire pressure every ride

Do I do that by running the engine with the gas shut off?

checking the valves is very easy, get a manual and it will be very easy. But I don`t agree on checking them every oil change. I check mine after 20-25 hours, I really don`t think it`s nescesarry? to do it very often unless the bike is hard to start..

checking the valves is very easy, get a manual and it will be very easy. But I don`t agree on checking them every oil change. I check mine after 20-25 hours, I really don`t think it`s nescesarry? to do it very often unless the bike is hard to start..

if the bike is hard to start, then your valves have gone too far already. once valves start to go, they move faster. so you want to catch it.

it only takes 15 minutes to do. I don't know about you or the OP, but I don't like surprises, especially ones that can cost hundreds of dollars to fix

to bleed the air off the fork, you unscrew the little tiny screws on top of the fork and it will release the air

The off center screws, not the center screws with the adjustment markings, right? The ones more to the front.

What's the best way to get the rust off of the frame? The paint is worn off right above the pegs and other places.

Should I use a green pad to buff it and then oil it or spray it with something?

The off center screws, not the center screws with the adjustment markings, right? The ones more to the front.

What's the best way to get the rust off of the frame? The paint is worn off right above the pegs and other places.

Should I use a green pad to buff it and then oil it or spray it with something?

yeah, i bought the bleeder valves, so i push a button and it releases the fork pressure.

that way when i have my bike in my truck and the forks are compressed, there is no air pressure on the seals.

bring a stand, put the bike up off the ground and let the air back in

it only takes 15 minutes to do. I don't know about you or the OP, but I don't like surprises, especially ones that can cost hundreds of dollars to fix

Where can I find detailed instructions? Here? Adjusting the Valves Are there better instructions somewhere else?