Sign in to follow this  

Change tires with no damage?

Is it possible to change tires on the 17 inch SM rims without doing any damage to the finish? Don't want to scratch those pretty rims. I have changed tires on lots of bikes but usually add a scratch or two. I would try using rim protectors on these. Any good secrets out there?

Rim protectors and use some old leather work glove fingers over your tire tools.

Cut off the fingers and stretch them over the tire tool tips/ends.

"Rim Savers" are plastic semi-circles that fit over the rim bead lip. I bought 2 sets as it makes it easier. Duct tape on the tire irons also. Then the ultimate - Pay A Shop To Change The Tire" & let them know that you expect the rims back in the same unscratched condition you gave them to them.

i cut up a thick plastic bottle - like a car wax bottle & use that between the rim & tire iron.

i've tried taping up the spoons, but the plastic works better for me.

the hardest part of changing the sm tires is breaking the bead.

if you need pics of a homemade bead breaker made from 2x4's let me know & i'll post some up later.

The No-Mar tire changer is f'n awesome. I bought one last year and absolutely love it. You can change 17" SM/sport tires while talking on the phone and drinking a beer.

Thanks for the info guys. Some good ideas. That tutorial sure makes it look easy. Never seen a tire come off the rim that easy.

I have a wooden bead breaker bolted to the wall of my garage, but when I went to swap a distanzia on the rear rim, my truck was blocking the bead breaker.

To lazy to move it, I put the rim and tire in my bench vise. Careful not to bear down on the rim, only the rubber, it broke super easy. Had to use a wood block across the rim and tire when I broke the second side, but it only took a minute.

Just have to have a vise wider than your rim.

Keith in Sc