Sign in to follow this  

Just picked up a non-running 04. Help?

Well my 450 needed a little brother, so I drug a 2004 CRF250R home today. Craigslist find, I know I probably paid a little too much ($1,300.00), but it was close, and in pretty good shape.

Thats the good news, the bad news is it won't start. Kicks over fine, maybe a little too easy. Oil on the dipstick looks good and clean, gearbox feels good. Previous owner said he bought it not running, ran out of time and money.

Original owner, had a valve break, motor was rebuilt, ran for a few rides, then would no longer start. Original owner then sold it to the guy I got it from.

Guy I bought it from, pulled the head, said it "looked" good. He also checked the cam timing, it was good. I asked if he shimmed the valves, he said he reassembled it, with the shims back in the same spots they came out of. He has an 05 CRF250, that dropped a valve, cost him a new head, he does not believe in shimming valves, nor does he believe that shims would cause it not to start.

I plan to start by checking the valves, if I don't get lucky there, I'll move on to the next steps, that where you guys come in, that whole next step thing, if the valves don't fix it, where to look next? I will pull a compression check, But want should it be? 120psi?

Here's a few pics;crf250015.jpgcrf250012.jpgcrf250010.jpg

Nice looking ride and congrats on your purchase! I have an 06' crf250r and love it.

First things first with diagnosing your bike issue(s) before you go chasing gremlins:

-air filtration adequate?

-spark plug good shape?

-carb cleaned with no crud growing?

-kill switch not stuck? Excessive water in the cable could be problem.

-valves in spec?

If all check out fine, I would consider the vavle job done by prior owner. Were they lapped in? Hopefully not, b/c the seats need to be cut when valves are replaced. I don't know any valve shop that didn't require shimming.

May be time for a complete top-end if you suspect a less than adequate valve work history. May be worth spending the $300.00 for a new head and pop an OEM piston kit in (Honda East Toledo for less than $100) along with new cam chain.

Also, cam timing...you may be off by one tooth and I would consider moving back one (chain to be moved back counter clockwise by one).

I'm just throwing out some ideas. I just rebuilt my bike b/c original valves went. I had stainless steal kibblewhites (with dual springs for each valve) installed along with new OEM piston kit, chain, etc. and can barely hold on!

Good luck.

Nice bike indeed! :p

Why has the front brake hose been re-routed?

Nice looking ride and congrats on your purchase! I have an 06' crf250r and love it.

First things first with diagnosing your bike issue(s) before you go chasing gremlins:

-air filtration adequate?

-spark plug good shape?

-carb cleaned with no crud growing?

-kill switch not stuck? Excessive water in the cable could be problem.

-valves in spec?

If all check out fine, I would consider the vavle job done by prior owner. Were they lapped in? Hopefully not, b/c the seats need to be cut when valves are replaced. I don't know any valve shop that didn't require shimming.

May be time for a complete top-end if you suspect a less than adequate valve work history. May be worth spending the $300.00 for a new head and pop an OEM piston kit in (Honda East Toledo for less than $100) along with new cam chain.

Also, cam timing...you may be off by one tooth and I would consider moving back one (chain to be moved back counter clockwise by one).

I'm just throwing out some ideas. I just rebuilt my bike b/c original valves went. I had stainless steal kibblewhites (with dual springs for each valve) installed along with new OEM piston kit, chain, etc. and can barely hold on!

Good luck.

Yes I should have clarified, the obvious stuff will definatly be addressed, spark and fuel etc. Thank you.

Nice bike indeed! :p

Why has the front brake hose been re-routed?

Thanks, and to be honest I had not noticed the front brake line?? My 450 is an 06, but I do have it to compare to.

I need to source a shop manual, wheres the best place, eBay?

He has an 05 CRF250, that dropped a valve, cost him a new head, he does not believe in shimming valves, nor does he believe that shims would cause it not to start.

This is a guy that should never own a 4T. :p

This is a guy that should never own a 4T. :ride:

My thoughts exactly:thumbsup: :p

thats a damn clean bike. Any ways i would check out the valves but even if they were out i would think it would still run a little, probably not much but a little. so assuming your getting fuel, spark, air, the next thing i would have to think would be that the timing is out. and it it's kicking to easy then i would think something isnt lining up quite right.

Well I pulled it down this afternoon. I cannot get .0015" feeler under the intakes. The exhausts were both at .010", or .011". I will attempt to buy new shims tomorrow. The shims that were under there measure .055", and according to hecklers excellent spreadsheet, I can only buy three sizes smaller, than that. We'll see!!

Well I pulled it down this afternoon. I cannot get .0015" feeler under the intakes. The exhausts were both at .010", or .011". I will attempt to buy new shims tomorrow. The shims that were under there measure .055", and according to hecklers excellent spreadsheet, I can only buy three sizes smaller, than that. We'll see!!

Save your money, (unless you already have shims). shimming wll not last at that point, it needs new valves imo. I shimmed when mine was zeroed and it lasted 1 ride.

I would try to push or pull start it to see if it has any other problems. if not, send the head out for new valves, good luck:thumbsup:

Save your money, (unless you already have shims). shimming wll not last at that point, it needs new valves imo. I shimmed when mine was zeroed and it lasted 1 ride.

I would try to push or pull start it to see if it has any other problems. if not, send the head out for new valves, good luck:thumbsup:

Call John Peters @ Fast Forward Cylinder Heads. He's the man. 707-349-7869. Fast turn around and the best head work period. He's got a Serdi 1.1 and custom designed 5 angle cutters with a radius. You will not be disappointed. And you can't beat his prices either.:thumbsup:

Well I couldn't help myself, I reset the valve clearances, drained all the old gas out, replaced it with new fuel, it fired up on the fifth kick. I know what you guys are saying about the head, but just wanted to hear it run before spending a ton of money on it. I figured the shim kit wasn't a bad thing to have around anyway.

I'll change all of the fluids, clean the air filter, put a few hours on it and check the valves again. I'm located pretty close to Ron Hamp, so I figired I would try him for the head rebuild.

Thanks for all the help, I'll post some more pictures when I update the rest of the bike.

Well I couldn't help myself, I reset the valve clearances, drained all the old gas out, replaced it with new fuel, it fired up on the fifth kick. I know what you guys are saying about the head, but just wanted to hear it run before spending a ton of money on it. I figured the shim kit wasn't a bad thing to have around anyway.

I'll change all of the fluids, clean the air filter, put a few hours on it and check the valves again. I'm located pretty close to Ron Hamp, so I figired I would try him for the head rebuild.

Thanks for all the help, I'll post some more pictures when I update the rest of the bike.

I'm sure Ron Hamp is good, but I guarantee Fast Forward and John Peters are better. I've read some stuff that Ron has written on here and have thought to myself, "huh, is he all that?" Just my opp. but I know the work that John does is top notch, 5 angles and a radius. Ask Ron about that and see what he has to say??? Couldn't hurt! He ain't god, that's for sure.:thumbsup: