Sign in to follow this  

Crappy 1st week with my bike

I got an 06 actually 2 wks ago but a freak snow storm didn't allow me to ride until yesterday. During the down time I surfed this forum for a long time for tips.I decided to check the oil screen my self for the stringies.

I pulled it apart cleaned out the screen and changed the oil and filter. Then I went to track and rode, I worried me that even though I put in right amount of oil it never made it to the center of the glass. During every break at track I checked the glass & it looked a lil lower each time. Then over a table top I heard a rattle, that stayed I went home added 2/10s oils and rode and still heard rattle but no lose in power. I called a guy from local shop to come check it out. I showed him what I had done with the screen.

It appears the small cover over the actual screen when I was tightening bolts one made a bad sound. I just left it there and thought it would be fine. It wasn't, it was bouncing around and a moving piece hit it and made a nice lil gash. Also the brace that looks like it braces the cam chain I put on the wrong side of the cover so I think the cover maybe warped.

Tom Im gonna buy a new cover and bolt and let a mechanic put it back together. My Question is,

As i rode and it was getting low on oil was because it was blowing oil out the tube. It is on the low side now and still blowing out when its revved. Is this because of the cover is releasing pressure.?

Does the cover not on correct have anything to do with it blowing oil out?

Thanks for any input. I know,, i feel pretty dumb about it.

Hmm that sux.

I don't yet understand what you did.

Can you explain based on these two labeled photos from the manual ...

kx450f-oil-screen.jpg

From what I understood he put the metal chain guide under the cover.

I think its very likely that the cover is warped,I would also check the pump in the picture,the cover works as a bearing for it at since your was bent it might have caused some wear on it.The rotor of the pump(in the picture)is connected to a another oil pump on the other side,it doesnt take much force to break the joint so its worth to check it out.Just take the rotor out and inspect the other end of it.

When the wrist pins broke on the 07 it caused that particular pump in the picture not to work,one symptom of this was the bike was pumping out oil through the overflow.I think its safe to assume your bike hasnt been pumping oil,that rattle didnt come from nowhere.The topend(especially camshafts) notice the lack of lubrication,take the topend apart and inspect for wear and scoring.Anything south of the piston can survive a while without oil.

Thanks pics def help. In pic 2,, cover A i placed on top of brace B, bolt 2 broke and flopped around while i rode. I just left shop and ordered new ones. I think cover A maybe be warped so i'm replacing along with bolt. Thanks for help

Yeah that's pretty dumb. :ride: Don't get upset. I hope you can end up looking back and laughing over it. :p

MCL, nice post!

So,,, if I'm paying someone to check the wrist pin. Should I go ahead and get him to replace the top end? Is the same amount of work involved?

If I understand MCL correctly, I think he's saying you might have snapped the wrist pin (being a generic term) in the pump shaft. Which means partial oil flow, so possible top end damage in just a few minutes. In which case you have to play detective and inspect your little oil pump and work out if it was not pumping oil at some stage. In which case top end damage may be there.

Your theory on oil flow being wrong with the cover on wrong, causing other running issues, could be right. Luckily the screen should have stopped any free metal chunks doing further damage. I'd fix everything you can on that left side, then run it carefully, ride it carefully and see how it goes.

If someone will take the cylinder off, then I'd say for sure put new parts back in.

I've got a wiseco std comp piston in my bike. Done 60 hrs on it. Kick over compression feels like new. Lighter than stock. My engine top end seems very quiet after a short warm up. Very happy with this piston.

Good luck.

You should be good.

I was also challanged with determining the amount of oil I have added to the crankcase. When changing the oil make sure pull the two drain bolts and then when completely drained you need to add 1.2 litres of oil or 1200 ml's to top it off.

I use an empty 1 litre jug, with a clear indicator strip, then measure 800 ml's and add it then measure and add 400 ml's and straight ignore the glass window during filing. Between runs or on breaks always give it a check!!!

Note: the strip doesn't usually measure a full litre, usually 800ml or so.

41Fo9R4pn3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Anyway I hope my experience helps ya!

Thanks guys. Parts will be in tom and hopefully by sun I'll be back on the track to enjoy my new used bike

lol... same thing happened to my buddy, only difference was that we hit a 90 foot downhill table, i was about 2 feet away 1 foot under him, he panic revved and i got about 2 table spoons of oil on my gog's anyway i crashed went right into the bush bike was good exept a bent clutch lever, and i snapped my visor. Now i understand how it works. when the oil screen gets plugged or backed up, that tube is a overflow, becuase the bike thinks its got too much oil? correct?