Sign in to follow this  

Stonyford Access ?

I am thinking about going up to Stonyford 3/16-17. Considering there is no moisture in the forecast and it will be pretty warm this week, will everything there be accessible? Any limitations due to snow level? I've never been there and I am looking for nasty single track and don't want to be bored with 2 days of quad trails. Any help here is appreciated.

Some limitations, but no reason to stay home, especially if you have never been. Get more than 5 miles from camp and you will find all that you need to keep you busy. Pulling off 70 mile days, with little double up is rather easy, if you know which ways to go. It really won't get much better, stony dries fast in the lower sections and turns to powdered dust generally before the snow melts up high.

Thanks for the help. A couple more questions: Where is the best place to stage? How is the camping? How far from Sacramento? Directions would be a huge bonus!

You will have the most trail options if you stage at Davis Flat, camping at Davis Flat is primitive but it is a huge area that is wide open with very few trees. The dump station is still closed because of their well dried up last summer but they do have your basic concrete FS bathrooms, yum. Google or Mapquest Fouts Springs for directions, should be less than 2 hours drive from Sac.

There is currently three threads going now with this info.

I went there on Sunday and there was snow at the higher elevation but it was slushy and melting all over. I imagine most everything will be clear except for some of the stuff on Goat Mountain (assuming we receive no more rain). Expect mud at the higher elevation. Definitely don't stay home for fear of this though, we did a full day of good riding without getting into the snow too much.

Tis the season, right damone....

That's right. Only a selct few places to ride and even less offer good family camping.