Sign in to follow this  

Be careful if you have Progressive Insurance on your bike

I was comparing insurance quotes for my motorcycles, one of which is a Dual Sport bike. While the bike has a license plate for road use, I use on trails quite a lot when clearing trails.

One of the companies I quoted was Progressive. The broker initially assured me that my KTM EXC would be covered both on the road and on the trail, but as I watched her complete the computerized application, there was not an option for both street and dirt, but rather only one or the other.

I pushed the issue, and she finally called the Progressive Agent support line. Ironically, the first three folks did not know for sure, so she kept getting transferred. With the last person, she was on hold for about 15 minutes, and finally obtained the correct answer which I thought I would share with you folks.

It seems that Progressive DOES NOT offer insurance for both street and dirt use on the same motorcycle, but rather the customer must choose. If you choose street (which will provide the correct state insurance for road use), your bike will not be covered in the dirt. If you choose dirt, your bike will not be covered on the street.

Ironically, the initial answer she received from Progressive was "No problem, the bike is covered for both uses." However, when she attempted to note both uses on the policy, this is where she ran into the problem and finally got the right answer. All other companies with which I quoted do not have the ability to choose a street or dirt option, and simply cover the motorcycle regardless of where the event occurs.

Yes, Progressive was cheaper on the KX and Harley, but because of the limitations, could not provide coverage on the KTM for both uses. If you have Progressive insurance, and have a dual sport motorcycle, you might not have the coverage you think you have, and the folks on the phone are giving the wrong answers. Might be time to read your policy.

Progressive is a good company with good, inexpensive coverage, but has missed the boat on Dual Sport coverage because of their limitations.

• Like 4

hummm, interesting. I will have to check my policy. thanx for the headsup

I want to be clear that I am not trashing Progressive, as they provide inexpensive insurance for lots of folks. Just not a good option if you own a dual sport.

I want to be clear that I am not trashing Progressive, as they provide inexpensive insurance for lots of folks. Just not a good option if you own a dual sport.

I didn't take it that way at all...I thought you were just being clear and articulate about something that we should be aware of. Nice post...good looking out for your fellow TT'ers!

:p

Please forgive my ignorance, but what, exactly, are you insuring on a dirt bike?

I've had progressive for years (on my cars, but not bikes) and have loved them. I was thinking of getting my dirt bike insured, but it would be more for theft than anything else. Are you insuring against a catastrophic wreck? Theft? What? And if you insured it for street, what wouldn't be covered when you went off highway? Do they have to know that you went down a dirt trail?

Like I said, forgive my ignorance, I just love details.:p

Please forgive my ignorance, but what, exactly, are you insuring on a dirt bike?

I've had progressive for years (on my cars, but not bikes) and have loved them. I was thinking of getting my dirt bike insured, but it would be more for theft than anything else. Are you insuring against a catastrophic wreck? Theft? What? And if you insured it for street, what wouldn't be covered when you went off highway? Do they have to know that you went down a dirt trail?

1. LIABILITY!

2. MEDICAL

One thing that comes to mind is that if he were covered under a street policy and had an offroad crash or bike fire bad enough to file a claim, Progressive would surely require a copy of the police report, which wouldn't exist since the incident occurred offroad.

1. LIABILITY!

2. MEDICAL

Wow.

I guess I've never considered those things for dirt. I have good health insurance, but I guess not everyone else does. That actually gives me a lot to think about.

Thanks.

I am an agent and they will cover either way. The rating question is for the kind of bike and primary useage. There is not any restriction in the policy contract for dirt or street only. Think about it, what about a true enduro bike? I am not surprised they gave you the wrong answer.

Terry

I haven't even looked at Progressive since '05 when the rate for my 600 went from $400/year to $2,000/year, and they had no explanation for it.

Lots of other insurance companies out there...

I won't buy insurance from "Progressive" since Peter Lewis is another one of those individuals who support enviro-weinies and donates a huge portion of his profit to groups like Move-On.org.....15 million in 2004

I really don't care how cheap their prices are.....they are working to shut down riding areas with their donations so our money will go to shut down our own sport.....:p

• Like 2

I am an agent and they will cover either way. The rating question is for the kind of bike and primary useage. There is not any restriction in the policy contract for dirt or street only. Think about it, what about a true enduro bike? I am not surprised they gave you the wrong answer.

Terry

Not to sound rude but being an agent doesn't clear everything up. His agent made calls and got the correct answer. Until you establish you have done the same and prove his statment wrong I am going with his answer. I had my agent tell me one thing in the past and when an accident happened found out what he said was covered wasn't.

Terry

+1

Also and agent and dealt with this previously. Insurance laws do vary state to state but in PA you're covered either way.:p Although racing is a different issue.

Alot of answers depend on who picks up the other end at the insurance company. Don't rely on them, or your agent...READ your policy. Just like your dealer telling you to do this or that to your bike, you don't just do it, you come to TT and find out what the real deal is.:ride:

Another thing I found out about Progressive I recently changed insurance agents and got $300,000 coverage and it was the exact same price as the $50,000 coverage. It is something you may want to check into.

Besides the items mentioned:

1 Theft - Not a big deal while riding your bike, but if this occurs in Offroad with Street insurance, you are not covered. Similarly, if you are riding that dual sport bike down the highway with Offroad insurance from Progressive, stop for a quick lunch, and the bike is stolen while inside the restaurant, you might not be covered.

2 Damage - Offroad insurance will cover damage to the vehicle just like street insurance. However, if you have Street coverage, you are out of luck if riding in the dirt.

3 Liability - it is becoming more and more common to see lawsuits when a multi-bike accident occurs Offroad. Sounds really stupid, but some folks are just looking for a payday. If you have Home Owners, there is some protection as well, but if you have street insurance with Progressive, you do not have coverage Offroad.

Insurance is not a big deal for some folks, but I have way too much money invested in my bikes to want to screw around with whether I'm covered or not. Where ever a loss occurs, I want insurance to cover.

Terry

Yup, that's the first answer the broker gave me as well. However, after 1/2 hour on the phone with Progressive, that does not seem to be the case, and that comes directly from Progressive, not from an Agent or a Broker. From the insurance company.

There was a post months ago where a TT member that had this exact same problem, and his bike wasn't covered. Here is the link.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711750&highlight=progressive+insurance

The short answer is that there seems to be a lot of confusion with Progressive's coverage of Dual Sport and Dirt motorcycles, and I don't plan to risk my $6,000 Dual Sport trying to find the answer. I just kept my insurance with a company that doesn't care about the use of the bike.

Everyone will have to deal with this issue for themselves...

I won't buy insurance from "Progressive" since Peter Lewis is another one of those individuals who support enviro-weinies and donates a huge portion of his profit to groups like Move-On.org.....15 million in 2004

I really don't care how cheap their prices are.....they are working to shut down riding areas with their donations so our money will go to shut down our own sport.....:thumbsup:

I got forced into Progessive :usa: from Foremost cuz around here Progressive is the only company that allow me to add my then 16yr old to a motorcycle policy. I dont have Progessive for auto, home and umbrella tho..

saw durango posted so had to see the avatar again!!

some interesting info about coverage and what PROG donates money too as OUTLAW said, wonder how true it all is??? if MC people knew that PROG donated to tree huggers that closed riding land i bet they would think twice about giving them money. ME i love my AAA people!!