Sign in to follow this  

Stuck Clutch Plates from sitting too long?

Hi,

Has anyone ever had their clutch plates stick together after sitting unused over several months. I had just done a cable lube about a week ago and when I tried to check my disengagement settings I was shocked to find that I could not get the rear wheel to free spin in first gear.

I wonder if there is a way to free up those clutch plates without having to take apart the clutch cover? I checked around and have not seen anyone with similar problems with their DRZs.

If you have a simple solution I would be glad to try it out.

Thanks

PS - Just before winterization I had done an oil change, trickel charge, and fuel stabalized the bike before stashing it away.

PSS - I also just added a new set of hotcams yesterday and now worry that I can't get it to break in properly if the clutch is not unstuck.

If you're doing that with the engine not running, sounds normal.

Just make any minor cable slack adjustment when you're heading out for the next ride with the engine running and you can make a difinative test when you let the clutch lever out to pull away.

Make sure there at least a small bit of free play.

go ride it.thats an easy way to get the plates to break loose.taking off the clutch access cover is easy too,just lay the bike on its side(so you dont have to drain the oil) and take off the access cover.then unbolt the pressure plate and take out the plates.

• Like 1

YZEtc,

Thanks for the quick reply! I think that you just might be right.

Is it because there is no oil flowing between the plates that cause it to stick if sitting?

Only way break it my new cams is probably to have a running start down a hill or have to idle that engine until the plates come loose.

I will now head back out and set to normal OEM slack adjustment setting and hope for the best.

go ride it.thats an easy way to get the plates to break loose.taking off the clutch access cover is easy too,just lay the bike on its side(so you dont have to drain the oil) and take off the access cover.then unbolt the pressure plate and take out the plates.

Hi there M!

I'm just itching to take her out for a spin, but winter just wants to keep us tied down. We just had another Inch of wet snow today. I have had such a craving to go out for a spin.

I'm now a DRZ Junkie. I need my ride fix!

Tatsubon , I owned a laverda 1200 for 24 years , and sticking clutch plates where a common problem with it . I rode this bike around most of australia , and it was my daily rider for at least the first 10 years of me having it . I used to start it by jump starting it , so I would push it and just put it into gear no clutch and ride it holding in the clutch lever till the plates freed up . Or putting it on the main stand and running it in gear while holding on the rear break and pulling in the clutch . I think it had sintered metal in the discs so they used to rust up a bit if it sat for too long . It never caused any problems with the bike , and I cannot see why it would with yours , just dont over rev it till you run it in , greg

I had a similar problem on my LT500R (Quadzilla). It was a basket case and I overhauled the engine and the clutch discs were well within spec. They stuck together after sitting around so I started the bike in N and pushed it down the road, popped it in gear, and pulled in the clutch & brakes, hit the gas and forced it free. The problem was the friction material itself. The clutch would stick the first time after sitting for a while but it would also slip in the powerband. It sounds like you need a new clutch like I did. EBC makes a nice one. They use an OEM like aluminum-backed friction plate. The cheaper ones use steel-backed frictions, too much rotating mass. I got the whole kit with friction, steels & springs for $109 to my door from e-bay. Good luck.

Had the same prob. on one of my dirt bikes, easiest way is to warm the bike up, Shift thru all the gears till you get the highest gear, pull the clutch lever in and "Burp" the throttle until it breaks free, then change the oil and your good to go

k guys my turn... got the same problem but dont understand why my bike is so hard to start when the plates are stuck.

i can go out to the garage and kick it for an hour and nothin, then ill go after 2 hours back to it and 2 cranks and it lights right up and plates are fine clutch works in gear

??????????? idk tell me what to do