athena 144 big bore kit?

depends on you and type of riding...

A well constructed 144 can do very well. I would say the athena is nice in the sense its complete and "bolt" on (though its not truly bolt on) its a decent value, but if you can have your cylinder worked over to a 144 then you can get more power than the athena kit.

a stroker bike REALLY closes the gap...so a 151 or 167 (I think that's the sizes....) can be an impressive bike that will eclipse the 250f in stock or mild mod form.

if your bike is slower on the top end you need to do some jetting mine was fefinatly not any slower anywhere.I had to lean everthing form pilot to main on mine the main really wakes up the top end.also had a vforce installed after put kit on it made a diffrence also.

depends on you and type of riding...

A well constructed 144 can do very well. I would say the athena is nice in the sense its complete and "bolt" on (though its not truly bolt on) its a decent value, but if you can have your cylinder worked over to a 144 then you can get more power than the athena kit.

a stroker bike REALLY closes the gap...so a 151 or 167 (I think that's the sizes....) can be an impressive bike that will eclipse the 250f in stock or mild mod form.

if you have the money for a stroker, nobody sells stroker cranks for yz125's\250's and to get it stroked just even 3mm can be $500 and the more stroke the more money, and then you have to get your ports raised which is more money to add.

if you have the money for a stroker, nobody sells stroker cranks for yz125's\250's and to get it stroked just even 3mm can be $500 and the more stroke the more money, and then you have to get your ports raised which is more money to add.

so i would be better off buying the 144 kit for $700?

Dirt rider did a coparison with ktm125,ktm150,yz125,and yz144 (athena). It stated that motor had more torque everywhere.I personaly have a kit on my 08 and it rips to me it does feel just like they state in mag. feels like same bike with more power.And athena has update yz144 kit it now has a one piece head gasket that is suppose to solve the problematic o-ring(I personally have had no trouble)

well that was also right before my crank went out when i was comparing it to the stocker so that could be part as well as the jetting...im planning on getting the v-force reed valve and and exhaust...what exhaust would you guys go with?

• 1 year later...

I put a 144 kit in my yz and id only reccomend you do it if your ready to drop a lot more than 700 into the bike. Aside from just putting on the cylinder you have to shave the cases so the piston skirt clears. Which involved splitting the cases (unless you can seal up the bottom end really well...) All I can say is, after dealing with all the stuff from my 144 kit, I will never do it again

I put a 144 kit in my yz and id only reccomend you do it if your ready to drop a lot more than 700 into the bike. Aside from just putting on the cylinder you have to shave the cases so the piston skirt clears. Which involved splitting the cases (unless you can seal up the bottom end really well...) All I can say is, after dealing with all the stuff from my 144 kit, I will never do it again

X-2 If you are racing competive you will be working still real hard too hang with a 250-f. had over $2000 in ours. IMO was a waste of money. If you want more power get a 250 two stroke and be done with it. If your a older vet rider youll be ok if your a rider in your teens too mid twenties save your money.Its not competive.