Sign in to follow this  

Athena 144 kit

I was looking at the athena website and noticed they updated instructions for installing there 144 kit.I noticed that it looks like there is a one piece head gasket now instead of the 2 o-rings in my later kit. Does anyone know anything about this?

it depends whether they changed the head or not. With an actual paper type gasket you will have more clearance between the cylinder and head thus lowering compression.

Somebody fix me if im not thinking correctly about this :p

it depends whether they changed the head or not. With an actual paper type gasket you will have more clearance between the cylinder and head thus lowering compression.

Somebody fix me if im not thinking correctly about this :p

backwards:ride:

There are now two kits for sale for the YZ125 - the new must have an upgraded cylinder / head that uses a difference seal. Gasket vs. oring?

I have been looking at this mod for my YZ125.

I have a write up coming out soon on this kit.

Athena had too many leakage issues with the old kit (two piece head) so they went one piece head and used a head gasket (BOOO!!).

I personally would like too see oring groves instead...but that's the direction they went.

All said it's a nice kit price wise considering you get everything necessary to convert it...but to be frank...as I will have in the write up...they could have done MUCH better with the cylinder.

If you dont want a stock 125 cylinder laying around...it's more economical and if sent to the right places, much better bang for buck to send stock cylinder out and have it reworked correctly.

The athena can be reworked too..and great gains can be had...all at a price.

Isn't the Athena kit about the same cost as sending it to Eric or similar?

Seems to me, that a guy could pick up a damaged cylinder (I see them on e-bay all the time for $20) and have it bored, ported, plated and install it.

The kicker would be the cost of a new powervalve, but you could then keep your existing cylinder sitting on the shelf as a backup, or sell it as a good used unit and recoup some of the cost with nearly zero down time.

Besides that, I would rather have a bike that looks stock from the outside. Stock cylinder casting, head, pipe, etc.

i have been riding an 08 yz 144 ericc gorr kit,paid 500, bike runs great,power everywhere great overrev. i would recomend it!

You have him do the case mod or you do it yourself?

i did it my self ,its easy the hardest part is to keep the shavings out of the case.