Sign in to follow this  

Ohio guy looking for Rocky Mtn High (trails)

Myself and another guy from Ohio will be trailering our bikes out West to ride the last week of April. We'll be spending a few days with my brother in Southern California and riding there. On the way out we'll ride one day in Moab. We'll be taking I-70 on the way back through Colorado, so we'd like to stop for a day of riding there. I ride a CRF250X, plated street legal for Ohio. I'm about a C rider.

So, what are some good trails to ride somewhere West of Denver and not too far off I-70?

You probably want to stick to the Western side of the state...most of the mtns will be snowed in still. Look into Rabbit Valley/Grand Junction area for some good riding. Don't forget White Wash in UT(north of Moab). There may be a few areas dry higher up but too earlier to tell for sure.

• Like 1

Rampart Range may be open as a few low altitude mtn trails. It all depends on the weather which is really variable in the spring. It might all melt out or we might get spring blizzards. Best to check just before you come through.

If it were me I'd just spend more time in Moab. There are hundreds of trails there.

Wow, only one day in Moab.

That's gonna be a tough call on what to ride...

Like others have said, the weather will be the deciding factor.

You could spend a couple of days there, couple in White Wash, couple in the Swell and that's just the Utah side

If you are looking for something West of Denver and just off 70 you could try the jeep trails around Cenrtal City. It was pretty dry in that area the last time I was down 70. If we don't get a big spring storm it should be ridabe. Also Central City is cool place to visit.

I would stop in Rabbit Valley .It is on the highway and if you are looking for single track you will be hard pressed to find better trails.

If you're looking for alpine single track, the end of April, in Utah, make a contingency plan because the mtns could still have snow, be really muddy or a late snow storm. Lot's of good riding off 1-70 through Utah. You can also check out www.motoutah.com

Quick and easy off I-70, Rabbit Valley is a good one

http://staythetrail.org/maps/displaytrail.php?trail=18

also the desert area just out by the airport in junction is always fun with some nice trails. Check out where to ride in TT for directions.

Also the stay the taril website has some others.

http://staythetrail.org/maps/index.php?county[]=all&type[]=all&difficulty[]=all&submit=Go

Hey bud,

I live here in good ol' Moab :) (don't be jealous) but there are some really good good trails around here. If your really good on your bike i'd hit up pritchet canyon. I "tried" to do it on saturday but failed and turned around. There are some really hard parts on it. But if you looking for some fun on a easy trail but yet be right by a sand dune, i'd hit up south of town. Its called "behind the rocks" and there is a nice sand dune. Good luck man, we might see you around

Also, white wash is okay. but not the greatest, and is over run with people. You could travel down the right and hit up poison spyder or golden spyke. And stay at the Red Stone Inn, thats my hotel :)

i live in vail, co and there is a bunch of neat terrain out here, but a lot of it is snowed in till june/july. there is some really fun single track riding south of the eagle airport that should be snow free by early april. eagle is about 30 min west of vail and the riding area is about 15 min off I-70.

There's also some good trails in Wolcott between Vail and Eagle just a few miles North of 70.

Myself and another guy from Ohio will be trailering our bikes out West to ride the last week of April. We'll be spending a few days with my brother in Southern California and riding there. On the way out we'll ride one day in Moab. We'll be taking I-70 on the way back through Colorado, so we'd like to stop for a day of riding there. I ride a CRF250X, plated street legal for Ohio. I'm about a C rider.

So, what are some good trails to ride somewhere West of Denver and not too far off I-70?

Sounds fun can I go?:)

april can be tough with snow packed in trails - esp north facing stuff

but only in the extreme highcountry this year

we have had the 2nd driest winter on record

moab is maybe THE off road mecca

so - 1 day - dunno about that

checkout these links:

http://staythetrail.org/maps/index.php

http://www.atvtrails.org/trailsofCO3.html

and the gazetter: (most anything in green or brown - unless its posted)

Hmmmm. Since CO may still be snowed in, maybe riding Moab for another day on the trip back makes more sense.

Fastedos69, check your PM, I sent you something.

Thanks for all the ideas here, keep'em coming.

from what i hear about utah now is that even if you buy their ohv sticker and you are plated that you are now held to the utah plating standard, blinkers etc...worth looking into that

in colorado we can get plated with minimal equipment

the solution might be to just get their sticker and remove your plates while there