Sign in to follow this  

finally back on the bike. and scared

well 3 months ago i had a surgery on my rotator cuff and today i went to just putt around the yard then i kinda decided to go on my track:banghead: well i didnt even want to roll the jumps because im scared of crashing and messing up my arm. is there anyway to get over this? i know its coming off as being a pudd but i dont know what to do

you just have to ease back into it as fast or slow as you feel comfortable. remember a good part of riding is in your head so you have to feel ok about it. i've had both ankles broken, tendons in both ripped as well and both knees blown over the years so i know where you're coming from. the faster you get back on the horse the better off you'll be, take faith and build confidence from you surgeon. if he says your healed then use that as your mantra over any mind-fing you got rattling around. bottom line don't get bummed if it takes awhile, just keep working out, keep flexibility, and the jones will get to you. you'll be flying like old times before you know it

• Like 1

you just have to ease back into it as fast or slow as you feel comfortable. remember a good part of riding is in your head so you have to feel ok about it. i've had both ankles broken, tendons in both ripped as well and both knees blown over the years so i know where you're coming from. the faster you get back on the horse the better off you'll be, take faith and build confidence from you surgeon. if he says your healed then use that as your mantra over any mind-fing you got rattling around. bottom line don't get bummed if it takes awhile, just keep working out, keep flexibility, and the jones will get to you. you'll be flying like old times before you know it

thanks so much. i didnt want to think it was just me that acted like that. my doc told me that i can ride around be he doesnt want me really racing yet. i still have a month or two he said. thanks for the help

I would say just go out and ride and get comfortable.

Ride to have fun, not to go out and slam berms and do doubles just yet.

Just go ride and get use to it again. Your brain will remember what to do and your fear will go away.

I had a bad car crash back in 03 that almost killed me. It took me a couple of years to get back into enjoying riding. After my wreck i became scared of injury and my cr250 wasnt helping the situation, so i got a 250f to get back into the game and rebuild my confidence. Now im on a 450 and blasting away like days of yore. Just ride and take your time and it will all come back. Its like Drake McElroy said, " Your mind will play tricks on you, you just got to trust your muscle memory."

Dude.

I hear ya about that car accident. Same situation for me in 2007. I tried riding and I was a complete bitch.

It's 2 years later and I am getting my confidence back slowly.

After I had surgery on my knee i was in the same mind set as you. Everytime I rode I was finding my self thinking about staying uprite so not to hurt my knee rather than focusing on actually riding its self. I had more get offs in that period than i did all year. I had to re evaluate everything! I was questioning my abilities on a bike and starting to wonder if it was all worth it, would i ever find my former pace??

I decided that it wasn't going to beat me so i waited till my knee felt sum what as strong as it was prior to surgery then went out riding again, When riding around I found myself back into the swing of things. I wasnt out there trying to go flat out or anything like that I was just out there doing what I loved doing... riding. before I new it my mind had focused back on actualy riding again not on the "what ifs" that were haunting me before. I soon found my self geting faster and faster and before i Knew it I felt like my old self again. Hang in there mate it will come back to you just give it time, Get some mates out to your track to put around with you this mite help take your mind off the shoulder. Good luck!

Use the power of your mind to get over this fear you have. Visualize yourself riding like you used to over and over. Then when you go out and ride, put that visualization to use, but take it easy getting back into it. It's all about comfort. You do have to put the idea of injury out of your head. I have had some bad injuries riding, so I can undertand where you are coming from. It's all about building your confidence back up, and each person does that differently and at their own pace. Nobody knows you like you do, so just be confident, but be smart. Don't push the limits until you and your body are ready. Also, I don't know if you work out, but getting your body prepared helps you ease your mind. It instills a bit of confidence knowing that if you do go down again you are in great shape and that your body can take the hit. This has worked for me. Hope this helps, good luck.

.....Also, I don't know if you work out, but getting your body prepared helps you ease your mind. It instills a bit of confidence knowing that if you do go down again you are in great shape and that your body can take the hit. This has worked for me. Hope this helps, good luck.

Yep, the harder your train, the greater your confidence and lap times will be. I feel much more confident on the bike if I haven't slacked on my workouts during the week because I know that if I go down, I have done everything possible to prepare for it. Plus I don't tire out as easily. Doesn't hurt to pray before you ride either. :)

If you want to see how training hard pays off, look at how Reed wiped out over a triple at the Australasian supercross. He was back on his bike within seconds!

6:12 ^^

Hi man, I had a shoulder injury a few years back. Afterwards it was a year before I got back into racing.

I too was really worried about messing up the shoulder again. So For the first several races I basically took it easy. I really concentrated on not crashing and also on just having a good time.

Funny thing is I started learning things again. By cornering a little slower I was able to notice things I had either forgotten or just never paid attention to.

About halfway through the season I started finishing in the top 3 again. One weekend there was a sloppy mud fest at a race in alabama and I finished top 20 overall (my best ever)

While I was protecting my shoulder I ended up being a smoother more consistent rider. It actually made me a good bit faster in the long run.

So I would suggest not trying to fight the fear completely. Use it to your advantage. You can still get faster over time.

An obvious example would be a double out of a corner. when your riding fast and smooth things are so very much easier.

Hi man, I had a shoulder injury a few years back. Afterwards it was a year before I got back into racing.

I too was really worried about messing up the shoulder again. So For the first several races I basically took it easy. I really concentrated on not crashing and also on just having a good time.

Funny thing is I started learning things again. By cornering a little slower I was able to notice things I had either forgotten or just never paid attention to.

About halfway through the season I started finishing in the top 3 again. One weekend there was a sloppy mud fest at a race in alabama and I finished top 20 overall (my best ever)

While I was protecting my shoulder I ended up being a smoother more consistent rider. It actually made me a good bit faster in the long run.

So I would suggest not trying to fight the fear completely. Use it to your advantage. You can still get faster over time.

An obvious example would be a double out of a corner. when your riding fast and smooth things are so very much easier.

so your saying just focus on being smooth and take my time and look where im going? i actually like that idea because like you said. i can catch something i didnt notice before

Thats exactly what I am saying. And I learned that by accident. I was just focusing on finishing a race without hitting the ground at all. I was that worried about my shoulder.

What ended up happening is I accidently learned how to ride correctly. Then I started getting fast again.

A few months down the road and I was all of a sudden as fast as i ever was bu, I wasnt crashing anymore. So Just becasue I was staying on the bike I was finishing better.

Then all of a sudden I start finishing even better. I was actually getting even faster because I was riding smoother.

When people say slow down to go faster it is the truth.

I had a bad car crash back in 03 that almost killed me. It took me a couple of years to get back into enjoying riding. After my wreck i became scared of injury and my cr250 wasnt helping the situation, so i got a 250f to get back into the game and rebuild my confidence. Now im on a 450 and blasting away like days of yore. Just ride and take your time and it will all come back. Its like Drake McElroy said, " Your mind will play tricks on you, you just got to trust your muscle memory."

Wow. Thats coming from an FMX guy? That really made sense for me:applause: I messed up my ankle a while back and when i came back i was intimidated by the singletrack that i would haul ass on :banghead: . Later i decided, ya know what, today im gonna go as fast as i can on these trails and if i break it, i break it, no big deal. It worked! I realized that my mind was more relaxed and instead of my brain riding the bike, my muscles were riding and i could actually ride back up to pace. Get over fast because you dont want to procrastinate getting over the fear :)