Sportsman class??

i was wondering how competitive the sportsman class is? im planning on racing the sportsman class at state line. and what can i do to my bike to make it more supermoto ready but still sportsman class legal?

Did you get any worthwhile info yet? I am also keen on something similar. I read somewhere that one supermotard magazine did some lap time testing between 17'' wheels and standard, there was a 1 to 2 second difference in lap times!That is VERY interesting if true, I tried to find the article but cant.

Anyone out there know this article?

u need a few stuff to participate in supermoto is the gas and radiator catch can. SME makes them , good stuff:thumbsup:

and for optionals to keep ure bike shiny is axel sliders, you can make some homemade ones by getting 2 pieces of ready rods and 4 skateboard wheels, or just buy the SME axel sliders.

not sure if your rules are the same for the radiator fluid, but we use water wetter up here in BC

Some tracks require peg sliders as well. You will tax the brakes so be sure to have fresh pads and fluid that can handle the heat. The tire issue (17's vs. 18/21") is not a problem because all the sportsmen bikes have dirt rims.

Most run a street tire. There are a few to choose from. You will not find any high performance tires in those sizes but there are a few to choose from.

I have a 21" street tire it used for sprotsman class @ Road America twice, a couple years back. I'll sell it to you for 10 bucks plus 15 shipping ?

When I ran sportsman, those couple times, i used an old dirt tracker rear tire. They are nice and soft, but wear quick. If you know some of those guys you should be able get one cheap.

Overall sportsman was fun, i just had / have too many irons in the fire to keep at it. Maybe again someday...

Good Luck, have fun !

I don't race, but on my DRZ I run 18"/21" Avon Distanzias on the street and they do really well. In the hands of a better rider I'm sure he/she would make quick work of my peg sliders. Even I have been able to drag the pegs a few times and I suck.

OMG!!

I just found this topic, and the fact, that a thing called "sportsman" do exists!

I have 2000 year WR400F, and after long time searching for an affordable price supermoto 17" set, I decided NOT to go for SM set.

- I am not that pro rider. I just need an alternative to ride in summer onroad, not to destroy my extreme knobby offroad tires.

so I was thinking did somebody ever use onroad tires on 21" front 18" back rim.

obvoiusly yes.

my question would be (to the yamaha WR owners and also to others) what else to consider when deciding for putting onroad tire on 21" front, 18" rear. you can not tilt the bike in corners, obviously. hopefully I do not have to exchange the front fork or front brakes for this reason.

of coz the narrow seat on yamaha WR does not allows you to ride long distances. just for fun in summer. I hope the 1.6 litres of oil allows the yamaha to be used onroad, in 5th gear for extended periods.

pls also recommend me your choice of the BEST tires onroad. 100% onroad zero % offroad coz I would have the offroad tires on separate  wheel :-)

any other thoughts would be WELCOME !

Tires, suspension and brakes. 

You want tires to learn on and wear out.  Crank in a bit more compression damping, tune as you go.   SM Springs are stiffer than trail but not necessary until you need them.  HH brake pads, bigger front rotor when you can afford it. 

If there's a local Supermoto School/Track Day, go.

The rider matters more than the equipment.